Creating a blog associated with your ecommerce site is an effective solution to develop your online commerce activity and boost your sales. Of the many SEO and content marketing engine optimization tools that exist in your arsenal, blogging is one of the easiest and most powerful ways to boost your ecommerce site .
When building an online store, the focus is on the number of sales and product presentation. And yet, content creation is fundamental to gain visibility, find a place against competitors and generate leads.
Thanks to the construction of an e-commerce blog, you will be able to highlight quality content with much more flexibility and freedom than on product sheets. This e-commerce content marketing strategy makes all the difference and increases your sales. The main e-commerce web solutions (shopify, prestashop, woocommerce) offer integrated blogging solutions. Otherwise, it is always quite simple to couple a WordPress solution to deploy your blogging strategy.
What are the benefits of having a business blog? Why should you consider this practice when you have an online business?
Table of Contents
Content Marketing / Creating a blog on an e-commerce site, a winning strategy
12 benefits of content marketing / having a blog in your online store
- 1. Improve your SEO positioning: position on keywords
- 2. Retain consumers
- 3. Position yourself as an expert: answer questions
- 4. Differentiate from the competition
- 5. Create a netlinking and internal networking strategy
- 6. Increase web traffic to your site
- 7. The pre-purchase process made easier with an e-commerce blog
- 8. A strategy with a strong return on investment
- 9. Build engagement around your online store
- 10. Gain visibility through social networks
- 11. Have a good Google EAT rate
- 12. Tell a story with strong storytelling
- 12 benefits of content marketing / having a blog in your online store
- What blog content can your e-commerce site benefit from?
What are the steps to create a content marketing strategy adapted to your e-commerce?
- 1. Understand your audience
- 2. Know the habits of your audience to create your content marketing strategy
- 3. Choose the type of content
- 4. Create guides
- 5. Show your offer
- 6. Highlighting essential information
- 7. Create a specific lexicon for your field of activity
- 8. Post your content on social networks
- What different types of content can be created for relevant content marketing?
Content Marketing / Creating a blog on an e-commerce site, a winning strategy
12 benefits of content marketing / having a blog in your online store
1. Improve your SEO positioning: position on keywords
Creating an e-commerce takes time, motivation and above all analysis of market needs. Nevertheless, after doing this audit, you must tell the world that you exist. Attracting consumers to your site is a real challenge. Visits to your online store help increase sales and establish yourself as an expert in your field of activity.
To succeed in compiling these two elements, work on your natural backlinking. Having a blog and posting content regularly allows you to rank for specific keywords. For example, if a person searches for a sewing machine, when they search on search engines they should come across your site. Your e-commerce will rank in the first results only if you have good SEO.
To outperform your competition and get sound advice on optimizing your SEO, hiring an SEO agency may be relevant.
The advantages of this practice:
- Strengthen the internal network of your site: in the published content, include links belonging to your pages. This practice extends the visit time of Internet users and the pages visited will increase. They will thus permeate your identity, your ideas and the DNA of your company.
- Gain backlinks: when creating articles, take a position on topics or give advice on a specific topic. Consumers thus have the opportunity to share your articles, relay your information, and include a link to your site on theirs. This technique is similar to word of mouth. We are talking about you, because we love your speech and your arguments. E-businesses with only product pages have real difficulties in developing these external links.
- Gain the trust of search engines: to gain positions in the rankings, the site must be active. It’s not about creating a site and waiting for visitors to get there. Search engines may consider your data to be out of date. Post content regularly, show that your online store is up to date and respects the news.
- Position yourself on more keywords: writing blog articles allows you to offer content at different stages of the purchase journey of your future customers. The product sheets are dedicated to sales. Blog articles allow to capture an audience before the decision to buy, when they learn about products and services, seek answers to their questions.
However, make sure that the content created is in your image and of quality. In order to please its readers and stand out from the competition, the choice of blog topics is fundamental.
2. Retain consumers
Creating an e-commerce blog strengthens the bond you can create with users. By telling your story through the articles, you will highlight your brand image, your arguments, your positions and your DNA.
It is also a great way to promote your products. For example, if you have an online store of kitchen utensils, you can create tutorials with their use, explain the origin, the characteristics …
3. Position yourself as an expert: answer questions
Generally, brands and companies through e-commerce fail to prove their expertise and know-how. An e-commerce blog highlights all your skills.
Through articles of your choice, you have the opportunity to show your knowledge and explain your offer. It is not enough to promote products that look like you. To earn the trust of consumers, prove your expertise. With this approach, you show the seriousness and reliability of your business.
Users are often reluctant, especially when they do not know the brand. They need proof and understand your skills. Posting articles on your blog shows that you know the topic and that you are a reliable source of information.
In addition, this part of your site allows you to answer all consumer questions and explore them further. When a person views an FAQ, they want to read a quick and easy answer. An e-commerce blog gives voice to your business to support your point.
Put yourself in the shoes of the users: what are their questions? Their needs ? What are the hidden subjects of your theme?
Lift the veil and show your transparency.
Beyond proving your knowledge and establishing yourself as an expert in your field, you will gain the trust of visitors.
4. Differentiate from the competition
With the explosion of internet usage, you have a 99% chance of having competitors in your industry. To attract consumers and convince them to buy from your online store, stand out. Thanks to the e-commerce blog, you have the possibility of expressing yourself freely on the desired themes. The trick is to analyze what your competitors are doing: do they have a site with a blog? What subjects do they cover? What is the frequency of publications?
Thanks to this approach, it will be easier for you to understand the content to produce to be different. You can of course tackle the same subjects as them. Still, always make sure consumers can recognize your style and your business DNA.
5. Create a netlinking and internal networking strategy
To improve your position on search engines, content creation offers you the possibility of boosting your SEO netlinking strategy and your internal networking .
In all the articles you publish, be sure to incorporate internal links to your site. For example, in a post about the importance of considering hair type when choosing products, include product links for each category. If you’ve written about the specifics of curly hair or straight hair before, incorporate the links strategically. This practice of internal linking must be supplemented by a strategy of netlinking.
Here are some practices for successfully integrating links to your site on other sites:
- Identify sites that talk about your field of activity and contact them to talk about you.
- Interact on well-positioned sites by leaving a relevant comment there and in connection with the words of the author.
- Check that all the sites that mention your business have correctly linked to your site.
- Customers can have their own blog. If they leave a review, analyze where it left off. If they are talking about you, ask to embed a link to you.
Here’s an article that gives you ideas for article topics for your writing job and set you apart from the competition.
6. Increase web traffic to your site
While ensuring the quality of your publications, create an editorial strategy to gain notoriety. The creation of a publication schedule allows your company to anticipate, to have ideas, to be regular, but above all to be able to create different content in advance. These articles take time and investment. In order to increase your visibility and your sales, organize yourself to keep up.
7. The pre-purchase process made easier with an e-commerce blog
Having a blog within your online store is persuasive. Published articles can convince prospects to buy and use your products.
The company Dynata , formerly Research Now has given this forward in a survey. Out of 1000 people:
- 84% of consumers use what the blog says to buy.
- One in 4 people have bought after reading a blog.
- 46% say they read published articles to get an idea of the company.
All data is accessible to users. Impulse purchases are less and less. The current trend is to compare offers on the market.
Information is the first step in the customer journey. Stand out from the crowd by featuring articles that can influence buying, inspire and educate.
Adding a video content strategy to the blog allows you to boost blog content and get closer to your community by generating views on Youtube or other video platform.
8. A strategy with a strong return on investment
Having an e-commerce blog is completely free. You can spread your ideas, your pitch, and your expertise without paying a dime besides the cost of writing. If, however, you want to pay for promoting and showcasing articles on social media, calculate it so that the return on investment is greater than your expenses.
Nevertheless, you must be patient. Beyond the time spent creating content, your positioning on Google requires perseverance. It will take a few months to reap the fruits of this work.
Moreover, one of the big advantages of this practice is that the content is constantly accessible after its publication. Unlike ads where consumers have to be in a specific location at a set time to see you, articles on an e-commerce blog are always accessible.
9. Build engagement around your online store
Having a blog on your website creates engagement around your business. Beyond its power of conversion, you become a relevant and reliable source of information. Users can interact with you through the comments. The creation of content allows discussion on themes and personal experiences.
You can share with your visitors and collect testimonials. These exchanges are a plus for your business. You can make the necessary changes to your offer.
10. Gain visibility through social networks
All businesses have social media accounts. Do the same and share your articles on these platforms. This technique attracts more people to your site and encourages them to share with those around them. Within your blog, integrate social network buttons to facilitate this sharing.
You will gain popularity, visibility and engagement.
11. Have a good Google EAT rate
Google has unveiled the importance of the EAT (Expertise – Authoritativeness – Trustworthiness) score for its algorithms and the ranking of results.
Online stores have an obligation to look into this data to gain visibility and improve their score with the search engine.
Content marketing makes it possible to work on these three points:
- Expertise: talk about partners, production, your suppliers, have complete and optimized product sheets, write articles regularly on a blog …
- Authority: request official certifications, win labels by recognized organizations, etc.
- Reliability: focus on site security with the use of https for example, allow customers to leave opinions on products, answer essential questions with the creation of a questions / answers page.
12. Tell a story with strong storytelling
Because of the digital barrier, connecting with consumers can be difficult. Having an online store, your main concern is to link internet users to your brand.
To do this, tell a story around your concept. Users need to know who you are and know your background.
If you wish, you can join a fight or a cause with a contribution to an association. This approach must be sincere and consistent with your values. Otherwise, your brand image will be severely tested.
Possibility to understand your audience through content marketing
When establishing a content marketing strategy, you must ask yourself the right questions in order to know the needs and desires of your audience.
You will therefore put yourself in their shoes:
- What are the existing questions around your field of activity?
- What are the doubts about your offer?
- What do they want to see?
To reach your target and have effective content marketing, create a buyer persona. This one is representative of your perfect customer. This approach helps you understand how to sell your products.
What blog content can your e-commerce site benefit from?
You want to set up a blog, but you don’t know what to post. He is abandoned. You are running out of inspiration.
Here are different articles you can create:
- Case studies: these are ideal for showing the effectiveness of your offer.
- Demonstrations: show before / after, the evolution following the use of your products.
- Launches, product announcement, changes to your store: the blog is yours. You are free in the topics covered. It is a method of communication that allows you to highlight all the news of your business.
- Write about your customers: create a bond and strengthen loyalty.
- Tutorials, suggestions for using your products: show the use and what users can do with the products.
- Contests: reward prospects for their presence and win new customers through the sharing of contests on social networks.
- Articles about your brand: history, values, struggles, vision, identity
- On the lifestyle of your target: for example if you sell beauty products, talk about news and developments in this sector. This strategy works for all areas of activity.
Having an e-commerce blog has advantages for the success of your business. Show creativity and perseverance to reap the rewards of your efforts.
What are the steps to create a content marketing strategy adapted to your e-commerce?
When creating an e-commerce, the main goal is to make sales and ensure a good return on investment. You don’t think about creating content. And yet, a content strategy has many advantages. This is the reason why it is essential to think about and develop a content marketing strategy as soon as you think about starting an e-commerce activity.
1. Understand your audience
Before embarking on creating your strategy, you should start by identifying and understanding who you want to reach out to.
If you communicate with all prospects, you won’t be touching anyone. You need to target and have a specific audience.
- The geographic area
- Tastes (what they like and what they don’t like)
- Consumption habits and activities practiced
The answers to these criteria will give you the guideline of your work.
However, these elements may vary depending on your marketing campaigns. When creating your content, always ask yourself these questions. They are beneficial for creating qualitative and relevant content.
2. Know the habits of your audience to create your content marketing strategy
The goal of content creation is to reach consumers, answer their questions and create a connection. Now, by being everywhere, you are nowhere.
When creating your content marketing strategy, analyze user habits:
- Are they on their phones more often?
- Do they prefer to view your content on a computer?
- What social networks do they like?
With these questions, define your axis. For example, if you are targeting 15-24 year olds, having a presence on networks like Instagram or Snapchat is essential to increase your sales. This Generation Z is connected.
On the contrary, if you want to reach the 30-45 year olds, your approach must be different.
3. Choose the type of content
At first, don’t overwrite. Choose a type of content on a specific platform. However, make sure you pick the perfect place to develop your content marketing.
If you don’t know where to start, bet on emails.
According to figures put forward by the Content Marketing Institute, 74% of B2C marketing experts use this channel to communicate with prospects. If you are launching a promotion, a new range of products or if you are setting up a campaign, do not hesitate to send an email to all your customers and potential customers.
This practice makes it possible to reach consumers in their daily life and to establish more personalized communication. However, if you are not comfortable with this approach, bet on posting relevant content on a blog.
4. Create guides
The next step in having an effective content marketing strategy is knowing what content you are going to create.
To get started, highlight guides on your online store . They must give details on the use of the product, how to assemble it or what are the solutions to repair it. Thanks to these guides, you reassure the prospect by sharing important information and you reinforce his desire to buy. However, be careful not to have a commercial message.
This content should only show the solution to a problem with videos, photos and explanatory texts.
5. Show your offer
To ensure the success of your e-commerce, prospects must be able to see your offer. The strategy is different from physical stores where consumers can touch the product.
In this case, bet on creating videos. You can use them in different ways:
- Advertising campaigns
- Explanatory videos
- Customer testimonials
6. Highlighting essential information
When faced with an online store, consumers are always reluctant. In your content marketing strategy, the goal is to reassure them. Fill in all the characteristics of the products on your site.
Do not hesitate to create a question / answer page with specific information about:
- Home delivery or relay point
- Shipping costs
- Delivery time
- Return and refund policy
On your online store, provide all the information to reassure prospects. Transparency is fundamental to ensuring the success of your content marketing strategy.
7. Create a specific lexicon for your field of activity
Prospects probably need your offer. However, they may be novices or may not understand your vocabulary.
To help and support them from a distance, create a dictionary with all the important terms.
Indeed, to prove your expertise and your knowledge in the matter, you will use specific words and expressions. In order not to lose the prospect, highlight your lexicon with all the explanations. This approach is beneficial for your business as you educate users and strengthen the bond.
8. Post your content on social networks
In order not to blend in with the digital mass, consumers need to know about you. If you don’t serve your content, they won’t find you. This is the reason why you need to promote yourself.
Include this step in your content marketing strategy. The best-known tool for promoting your content is social media . However, do this broadcast strategically. Don’t waste your time on a platform if your target isn’t there.
To deepen your marketing strategy
- Create an editorial calendar to organize content productions and be regular in publications.
- Identify the relevant tools to help you in daily tasks: emailing tools, CRM, social media management, content creation, results analysis, etc.
- Outsource all actions requiring special expertise. You can also outsource if you are short on time.
- Make a structured plan that matches your goals and desires. To have impactful content marketing, you need to be organized.
What different types of content can be created for relevant content marketing?
After following all these steps, you will be able to have effective content marketing with your target.
However, what are the elements to produce to captivate your audience?
There are many types of content to increase your sales and retain your customers.
1. E-commerce blog posts
Creating an e-commerce blog as discussed in beginning is a good strategy for creating quality content and capturing targeted traffic from future buyers.
You can conduct interviews, interviews, customer feedback, presentation of articles or the company, highlighting of production and suppliers, help consumers with “lifestyle” articles in your field of activity … To motivate people to click on your production, think of a compelling headline. This must respond to a problem or pinpoint a revolutionary solution.
Creating introductions that engage readers will keep visitors interested, develop them and build a stronger bond.
2. Present qualitative visuals
The photo is proven on social networks. Video, on the other hand, has an essential sales force for the success of your online store. Video format has been shown to convince 73% of prospects to buy, following a study. To reap the benefits of this content, embed it into your product pages.
Here are some ideas for videos to make for your business:
- How to do
- 360º product presentation
- Interviews with collaborators / suppliers / professionals
- Live broadcast
3. Create a link through email
Many companies do not dare to use this communication channel for fear of being intrusive or being seen as spam.
However, supporting the prospect throughout his purchase has a great strength of loyalty.
You can send an email to:
- Confirm order
- Thank for the purchase
- When the parcel is shipped
- Make sure the customer has received their order
- Ask for your opinion after a few days
- For birthdays and special dates
4. Customer experience
You have the opportunity to highlight the customer experience through various formats such as a video, an interview or a case study.
This type of content will boost your sales with the strength of social proof that you cannot overlook.
5. Adapt your podcast content
Some people don’t have the time to think about written content. Make the most of consumers’ time by allowing them to listen to your content.
For example, if you have an online store for baby products, your target is pregnant moms or new moms. At the start of motherhood, they probably don’t have time to read your articles on your e-commerce blog. To adapt, you can offer podcasts. In audio format, you have a better chance of hitting your target.
To ensure the success of your online store, implement a content marketing strategy . It will boost your sales and your digital presence until your business becomes a must in the market.