The purchases of tech products through the Internet have become a common of these dates. The success of the offers and discounts that, in days like the past Black Friday or Cyber Monday, the stores (and not only the online ones) have launched through their web pages, is a witness to this.
It seems clear that, over the years, we have lost the fear of shopping online and that this new form of consumption has already been installed in our lives. And it is that buying online has a lot of advantages: you can select the products you need, even those that you cannot find close to home, and receive them where you prefer after a few days; You will surely avoid the queues and crowds typical of these dates in physical stores and shopping centers and, perhaps most importantly, you can benefit from offers, discounts and great bargains that you probably won’t find anywhere else.
Buying online can be really beneficial, but the truth is that it also carries cyberrisks, so you need to take a series of precautions.
Table of Contents
- Tips to buy online safely
- The best online stores to buy tech products
Tips to buy online safely
- Buy on secure web pages. To verify the security of a website you can look at different elements: that the address appears as https: // (instead of http), that next to it appears the icon of a closed padlock, that the page has the acronym SSL (“Secure Socket Layer”) or even belonging to an association or group that promotes consumer protection.
- Verify that the website is known and has a good reputation. How? First of all, you must make sure that the website has a customer service and that you can contact them directly through a phone number, a web form or an email address. It is also usually a guarantee of confidence that the page shows ratings and experiences of users who have purchased products before. Also, if the page has a profile on a social network, it is helpful to check the number of followers and their comments and check that the content is updated regularly.
- Find and review the privacy and returns policy and make sure that it respects the right of withdrawal. If it is a reliable page, it will be in a visible place and it will be updated. This factor is quite important because it will be what will allow you to change or return the product if it is not what you expected or if it arrives damaged or damaged.
- Give only the data you consider necessary. If you find it strange that to make a purchase they ask you for some personal information: mobile phone, family name, date of birth … be suspicious! Check that you are on a secure website and if it still seems strange to you, avoid making the purchase.
- Check that the payment method is secure. The consumer has the right to have payment made in the safest way possible. Currently the accepted ways to buy online are: through credit or debit card, by bank transfer, through PayPal or cash on delivery.
- Save the proof of purchase. It is very important that you keep the ticket for the online purchases you make. And not only that, it is convenient that you also save any page summarizing the transaction or any type of communication related to the purchase (in the pages that do not allow you to download a document, you can do it through a screenshot).
- Avoid suspicious email links and advertisements. At Christmas time it is very common for hackers and cybercriminals to take advantage of the large number of purchases with fake ads. Therefore, if an offer seems too good to be true, it is best to first compare and analyze the possibility that it is real.
- Use a secure Wi-Fi connection and make sure your equipment is up to date and protected. Information packets transmitted over public connections can easily be captured by cybercriminals. Therefore, it is best to use a home Wi-Fi network or, at least, a known one. In addition, having a good antivirus is also essential.
The best online stores to buy tech products
Below we offer you a list of web pages that comply with all the security requirements and that, in addition, regularly launch offers and discounts from which you can surely benefit if you are thinking of giving technology away this Christmas:
1. PC Components
Founded in 2005 in Alhama de Murcia, it is the computer store par excellence at the national level. Its website receives an average of 90,000 visits per day due to the large catalog it has and the competitive prices it offers. In it you can find from computers and mobiles to video consoles, games and components of these same devices.
In addition, it does not usually charge for shipping costs and has a quick processing of the guarantee of the products without any cost for returns and exchanges. Delivery times do not usually exceed 48 hours. And they have an assembly and repair service, providing a very complete customer service.
If PC Components is the benchmark in Spain, Amazon is worldwide. Founded in 1995, it was one of the first online pages dedicated to the sale of technological products. It is one of the best stores for the technology community and for shopping fans in general since it has different product lines: music, cinema, books, clothing, technology… The web is also famous for its reasonable prices and for the multitude of offers and discounts that it launches periodically.
Currently Amazon has three large logistics centers in Spanish territory, two in Madrid, in the towns of Getafe and Alcobendas and another in Prat de Llobregat, Barcelona. In addition, the company is already working on the construction of what will be its largest warehouse nationwide, which will be located in the Toledo town of Illescas. This commitment to the opening of large logistics centers in our country has allowed them in recent years to guarantee the delivery of their products in less than a week.
It also has the new Amazon Premium service, with which the user can benefit from exclusive offers and receive their purchases in just 24 hours by paying an annual fee of € 14.95.
Rakuten is, in addition to the new main sponsor of Futbol Club Barcelona, a web portal for the sale of a multitude of products, including technology. The so-called Chinese Amazon has arrived in our country in recent months and therefore offers attractive opening offers.
The page works as an intermediary, that is, once you have selected the product you want to buy, it directs you to the original page that sells the item. The payment, however, is made to Rakuten, who then takes care of getting it to the original store.
On the occasion of its arrival in Spain, Rakuten has launched the Super Points program, with which it offers advantages and discounts. You just have to register on the page and make a first purchase to take advantage of the attractive offers.
Although a priori it may seem that it is the online page of the Fnac physical store , it is about different platforms. The web sells most of the products in the store, but in addition, in this portal the user can find offers and discounts that will rarely be applied in the physical store.
A great advantage of this portal is that you can take advantage of existing discounts and save shipping costs by picking them up at the physical store of your choice.
It also highlights the possibility it offers to sell used products through its “Marketplace“.
This web portal, which was born 6 years ago, mainly aimed at the world of photography, is an interesting alternative, since a few years ago it has begun to distribute a multitude of technological and cultural products.
The prices of Pixmania are quite competitive and also has a loyalty program that offers discounts, reduced shipping costs and warranty extensions.
The same business group has another portal, pixmania-pro.com, intended for the professional market and in which users can benefit from advantages such as discounts for the value of VAT on certain products.
In short, these five web pages are just one example of the millions of portals that exist on the Internet where we can purchase technological products and of any other type. At the end of the day, in addition to the basic safety factors that we have discussed, it is only necessary to apply logic if we do not want to be deceived in our online purchases.