How to Start an E-commerce Business (Complete Guide)
One of the easiest ways to start a business today is to set up an online sales company and start e-commerce. Indeed, the internet commerce sector has been growing exponentially for several years now.
Training, products, services … now, almost everything can be sold on the net. So how do you get started with creating an ecommerce site and quickly generate sales? Discover our practical advice to create your online store and develop your business on the web!
While there are some notable differences between starting an ecommerce business and starting a physical business, there are a number of similarities as well. Many of the planning steps and legal steps that you will need to take will follow the same process (more or less) as with any other business.
However, once you start your business, you will see how different starting an ecommerce business can be.
Table of Contents
- Choose your product or service carefully
- Do your competitive intelligence and write a business plan
- Choose a suitable e-commerce solution
- Work on the design and concept
- Work on SEO of your Ecommerce Business
What are the main problems encountered by e-merchants?
- Improve the positioning of the merchant site in search engines
- Visibility and competition on the web
- Boost your popularity on social networks
- Analyze your offer to define your target
- Increase your conversion rate thanks to CRO
- Set up a global digital strategy
- Choose the right platform
- The design and user experience of the e-commerce store
- Choosing the right KPIs
- Webmarketing glossary for e-merchants
- How to Increase the sales of an E-commerce site?
- How to increase the average basket of your e-commerce site?
- How To Increase the conversion rate on an online store?
- How to reduce cart abandonment in Ecommerce?
- Reassure your customers by inspiring confidence
Choose your product or service carefully
You may have the best store in the world, but if you don’t sell the right product, you won’t make a sale . So before even thinking about the design of your website, you need to find the right idea that will get your project off the ground.
10 tips for finding the perfect ecommerce product
Before even launching an e-commerce site, you must already bet on the right product: the one that will sell easily and allow you to generate profits quickly. A good product to sell online is a product:
- Profitable : it generates a comfortable margin and maximum profits.
- Fast to ship : be able to prepare many orders every day.
- Lightweight and small in size : to reduce shipping and packaging costs.
- Timeless : it can be sold at any time of the year.
- Simple : it must meet simple needs and its usefulness must be immediately understood.
- Trend : unearth the idea or the product that everyone is going to tear up.
- Robust : the less after-sales service, the better your online store will be.
- Attractive : it must arouse the interest of buyers at first sight.
- Unique : your product should only be able to be bought from you and not elsewhere.
- Niche : no need to go into the mainstream, find a niche product or offer and get started!
Evaluate your product idea before selling it online
You have finally succeeded in finding the rare pearl (s) on the web, that is to say products that are sure to hit the mark in your store. So now you are going to have to evaluate this idea with your future buyers. Do not hesitate to test your products in your personal and professional circle or with test customers .
You then need to assess the true potential of your offer to be sure you’ve chosen the right product.
To do this, there are two essential tools:
- Competitive Study: Who Are Your Competitors? Are they known? What are their prices? Can you line up? Where are they at the natural backlinking level? Are they present on social networks?
- The business plan: Will selling this product be profitable? This is the sinews of war!
Do your competitive intelligence and write a business plan
Even for an online store, it is absolutely essential to conduct a serious competitive intelligence and develop a complete business plan before starting.
How to succeed in your competitive intelligence?
The best way to launch your e-commerce store is to know the competition inside out to know what they are selling, how they are positioned and how you stand out.
Start by identifying your top 5 competitors. Nothing could be easier: all you have to do is select the 5 best-ranked stores or brands in Google in relation to your keywords.
For each of the competitors that you are going to select, you must be able to answer the following questions:
- How do they communicate about their offer?
- How are their products showcased on their e-commerce site?
- What are their prices compared to yours?
- Are they present on social networks?
- How do they interact with their customers?
- How is their store built and where are the call-to-actions positioned?
- Is their site optimized for mobiles?
- What marketing tools do they use to generate leads?
Then to always learn more about your competitors, do not hesitate to use online monitoring tools such as SEMRush, SimilarWeb or Whois.
Some tips for carrying out the market research of your online shop
Writing a business plan before launching your e-commerce site is an essential step if you want to be successful on the web. Building this market research allows you to take a step back and see things in the long term, in order to be able to put in place an effective growth strategy.
The business plan is a roadmap that sets the course, sets goals and helps achieve more results.
Here are the essential elements to work on in this document:
- The operational summary which summarizes the essentials of your business plan.
- The description of your company which gives a complete overview of your products and offers, your competitive advantages and your marketing pitch.
- The market and competition analysis that you have previously carried out.
- Your operational plan.
- The organization of your company and its management.
- The precise description of your offers, products and services.
- Your goals in terms of marketing and sales, as well as your strategy for reaching your customers.
- Your projections in terms of budget, turnover and profits for the first years of the year.
- Your financing plan.
Choose a suitable e-commerce solution
To get started in e-commerce, it is essential to find the online solution that corresponds to your needs . It must be simple to use and require as little technical development as possible, to limit maintenance costs.
You must also choose a powerful e-commerce solution that has a qualitative design . Don’t forget to look at how your online store is set up and especially if you can administer it yourself. How easy is it to create your sales pages? Can you easily upload new products? Can you manage without assistance?
Are there any solutions proposed to reduce cart abandonment on this e-commerce solution?
What are the most successful e-commerce platforms?
Here are the most popular e-commerce platforms in World:
- Shopify is currently one of the most popular solutions, especially with small businesses. It is acclaimed for its ease of use and free themes. Even though there are fewer customization options than its competitors, Shopify is a very good choice to start dropshipping.
- Prestashop : here is an open source e-commerce solution made in France. This CMS makes it easy to create an online store. In France today, nearly 50% are powered by Prestashop.
- WooCommerce : If you already have a WordPress site, this is the ideal e-commerce solution. This plugin allows you to easily create your shopping area on your website.
There are many other e-shop alternatives like Magento, Big Commerce or osCommerce. It’s up to you to compare the features, pricing and options offered by each platform.
Work on the design and concept
The web offers many sales opportunities for companies and brands . However, if your online store and your concept are not perfectly thought out, sales will not take off!
The design and the user experience must be considered to promote navigation, loyalty and the act of purchase. Show real creativity to stand out and establish your brand against the competition.
To create a working online store, you need to:
- Work on your brand image and your branding.
- Reassure the customer with an ergonomic site that works and where you can find all the information about your company, as well as the general conditions of sale.
- Build your project with SEO in mind: all the content on your site (home page, product sheet, category, blog, etc.) must be optimized to stand out in search engines.
- Set up a simplified and fluid navigation.
- Highlight your products with beautiful images and constantly update your offers.
Work on SEO of your Ecommerce Business
SEO is the optimization of a website to make it visible in the organic results of a search engine like Google.
We advise you to use a specialist service provider . Indeed, even if e-commerce solutions easy to learn exist, it is better to be accompanied by a professional during the design and launch phase.
Make sure that your service provider is aware of natural backlinking requirements or works in collaboration with an SEO agency specializing in the optimization of the natural backlinking of an Ecommerce site.
Indeed, according to the branches of activity, the competition can be tight and the movements in the SERPs can surprise. And watch out for SEO scams! Make sure you are working with an experienced SEO who can provide you with a good SEO strategy for your ecommerce site.
What are the main problems encountered by e-merchants?
Do you want to get into ecommerce but don’t know what strategy to adopt? If opening an online business is less risky than a physical store, it remains difficult to make yourself known and create a profitable business.
Many new entrepreneurs make the same mistakes and get discouraged within months. To help you grow your business on the web and increase sales from your online store, let’s review 10 Common Problems When New To Ecommerce.
Improve the positioning of the merchant site in search engines
SEO is one of the main channels for acquiring traffic in e-commerce. Thanks to natural backlinking, it is possible to generate up to 10 times more clicks than with sponsored content. Hence the interest in betting on this long-term SEO technique to increase the visibility of your e-shop.
For this you need to create content. Create content that targets the keywords proving that the Internet user is close to the conversation: object + brand + model, shoe brand + size + bag + color, object + cheap, comparison of products or services …
Consider implementing an SEO strategy on Google
To help you set up an effective SEO strategy for your online store, here are some good practices to follow to properly rank your site on a search engine:
- Position yourself on the right keywords using tools like SEMRush, Google Keyword Planner or Google Trends;
- Optimize the content of your pages and your product pages;
- Use photos and / or videos to improve the SXO of your e-shop;
- Optimize the technical performance of your online store;
- Develop your content marketing strategy, create content regularly and share it;
Visibility and competition on the web
Unless your offer is positioned in a niche market, your e-commerce store is likely to be in competition with many other merchant sites that sell the same products as yours.
Here is one of the recurring problems of the e-merchant : to succeed in standing out from the competition to remain visible and competitive. Two steps are essential to resolve this difficulty:
- Monitor the competition and prices to align your prices and your offer with those of your competitors;
- Invest in paid search or SEA to give visibility to your e-store in Google sponsored results.
Use Google Ads to launch your e-commerce site
With 80% market share, Google is the leading search engine used in France and around the world. It is therefore in your best interest to use the Google Ads platform to develop the traffic of your e-commerce site when it is launched. The SEA can indeed allow you:
- To reach a targeted audience on Google.
- To promote your online store to qualified prospects.
- To lower the bounce rate and increase conversions.
- Promote increased traffic to your e-commerce store.
- To present your products directly in the search engines.
Google Ads and competitor brand: good or bad idea?
Any e-merchant using Google Ads has already asked themselves these questions : is it useful to buy the name of a competitor on Adwords ? Do we have the right to bid on the name of a competitor or a brand already known?
Even if ethically, this practice is questionable, since 2010 Google has authorized the inclusion of the name of a competitor or a brand in its list of Google Ads keywords.
However, the site editor must respect the following conditions:
- The brand name may not be used without the written consent of the owner;
- The advertisement must not refer to the products of the named brand;
- The term must refer to the ordinary meaning of the term used and not to the mark as such.
Clearly, you need the competitor’s consent, but if this competitor has chosen a keyword as a brand name, you can very well create an advertisement targeting that keyword.
Thus, bidding on a competing brand can help develop your presence, limit competition, highlight business operations and increase the click-through rate of your ads.
Boost your popularity on social networks
Starting out in e-commerce without having thought of a communication strategy via social networks is a serious mistake. Before even launching your online store, you need to think about the use of social networks in your digital communication. No need to be present everywhere. Increase your presence where your customers are.
Why use the SMO in e-commerce?
SMO is a digital marketing technique that helps target potential customers using social networks , based on several parameters: gender, age, location, interests.
This marketing technique can help you:
- Showcase your products and content.
- Find new prospects and expand your catchment area.
- Increase your e-reputation.
- Increase your presence on the web.
- Increase traffic to your merchant site.
- Create an active community.
Analyze your offer to define your target
This is the basic of the e-merchant, but we often tend to forget it: before getting started, it is essential to properly analyze your offer to precisely define your target.
Here are some questions to ask yourself to see more clearly:
- What needs does your offer meet?
- Who might be interested in your products?
- Is your offer intended for professionals or individuals?
- Does your offer reach different customer segments?
Increase your conversion rate thanks to CRO
CRO or Conversion Rate Optimization brings together a set of structured methods aimed at the efficiency of your merchant site, from its home page to the sales pages. Ultimately, it aims to orient a website towards a better conversion rate, with a permanent search for results.
CRO software and solutions allow qualitative and quantitative analysis of the marketing actions implemented on an e-commerce store. Among the best-known solutions, there is of course Google Analytics.
CRO is a great way to get to know your targets and future clients better. Thanks to an in-depth and regular analysis of their behavior, their preferences and their problems, you will be able to implement actions to increase your conversion rate.
Finally, the CRO makes it possible to accelerate the growth of an e-commerce site without the need to invest heavily in marketing.
Set up a global digital strategy
To promote your e-commerce site, you should not neglect any track. Among the issues frequently encountered when starting out in e-commerce, that of digital strategy is often one of the most complex. Lack of ideas, fear of doing wrong, poor organization, lack of time, you can be discouraged.
However, it is essential to determine your main communication channels to implement an effective marketing strategy. Blog, newsletter, partnership, videos, social networks, web advertising, it’s up to you to determine your strategy. But for that, you must define with precision the message to be transmitted, your editorial line, a publication schedule or your different content marketing formats.
Don’t neglect content marketing
Today in e-commerce, offering a good offer or the best products is no longer enough to stand out. Being successful on the internet is also and above all being able to offer the right offer to the right person at the right time. And it’s not as simple as you think.
Thanks to content marketing, you can meet this challenge. By offering a rich and relevant content offer to your prospects, you will strengthen your brand image, your reliability and your expertise in a specific area. But you will also increase your sympathy capital and get closer to your customers. Look at the example of the Michel et Augustin brand …
The creation of engaging content also helps promote visits to your merchant site and therefore increase its traffic. However, you need to keep in mind that your content marketing needs to drive conversion. Even if your content is made to inspire, advise or inform, it must also be used to generate sales. So don’t hesitate to create more personal or branding content in addition to your useful content.
Choose the right platform
There are many digital solutions to host an online store. Free or paid, CMS offer many options and services. This is why it is important to choose your CMS well before you start. Among the most common solutions, we find in particular Shopify, Prestashop or WooCommerce .
To choose your store, define the criteria that you think are important for your own activity. Support, prices, personalization, coupons… what do you really need?
The design and user experience of the e-commerce store
When designing an e-commerce site, there are two elements that you should never neglect: the design of your store and the customer experience.
- The design: if the design of your site does not correspond to your target, you will lose customers along the way. Do not forget that a customer forms his opinion on a merchant site in less than a minute! It is therefore essential to think carefully about your brand identity and the graphic charter of your online store. Remember that the design of a site can be different if you sell high tech products, cosmetics or organic food for example.
- Customer experience and navigation: Poorly designed navigation can have a very negative influence on the customer experience and cause you to lose a lot of sales. When designing your website, think of UX design first, that is to say the experience of the user when browsing your store .
Choosing the right KPIs
Thanks to Google Analytics, it is very easy to track and analyze the statistics and performance indicators of your website . You still have to choose the right KPIs to follow.
Often, e-commerce newbies put too much emphasis on the issue of traffic, leaving aside the conversion that is essential. Indeed, there is no point in attracting low-qualified traffic that will not generate sales behind.
Webmarketing glossary for e-merchants
- SEM or Search Engine Marketing refers to all the techniques aimed at optimizing the backlinking of a website in search engines. The SEM is in fact the SEO, the SEA and the SMO.
- SEO or Search Engine Optimization brings together a set of on-site and off-site methods that aim to improve the positioning of a web page in search engine results.
- SEA or Search Engine Advertising is equivalent to paid backlinking which increases its visibility by positioning a website among the paid results of search engines, via a system of advertisements and auctions.
- SMO or Social Media Optimization refers to all the strategies aimed at promoting an e-commerce site or a brand via the various social networks.
- SXO or Search Experience Optimization can be defined as the combination of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and UX (User eXperience). This technique aims to both improve SEO and conversion.
- CRO or Conversion Rate Optimization is a technique that aims to promote the percentage of conversion rate of an e-commerce site to trigger an action or a sale.
When starting out in e-commerce , the mistake would be to focus all your efforts on your store and neglect its promotion through content marketing and advertising . Regularly publish impactful content that will attract the attention of your target customers.
Create a store with an attractive design related to your domain. Finally, forge a real link with Internet users who are passionate about your field of activity or potential buyers by forming a community on social networks.
How to Increase the sales of an E-commerce site?
Giving you proven tactics and strategies that will help you increase your online sales is the goal of this article. Today, anyone can create and start an e-commerce site and offer products or services for sale. Where it gets complicated is when, once the euphoria of the launch has dissipated, the reality jumps out at you: sales are rare.
To stimulate the sales of an e-commerce site , it is necessary to work on the following two points:
- the traffic on the website and
- the presentation of the products or services.
Optimizing these two elements requires taking into account many parameters, technical and marketing, which will have an important role in the success of your e-commerce site. We Tried to explain these points as follows;
What is selling well on the internet?
When can we say that an e-commerce site works? Already, a successful store or landing page is a site that generates more money than it costs. Simple you say to me? Not that much. To make sure that a site is profitable, it’s best to factor in the costs involved in running it… all costs, including those for which you don’t receive an invoice.
How much does an e-commerce site cost?
Among the factors that influence the cost price of a sales site we note:
- The technique: site development, maintenance, updates, graphics (logo), hosting, payment solutions …
- The product: the purchase price, transport costs.
- The workforce: the publication of articles, the creation of product sheets by a writer, inventory management, customer service, the cost of a verified review platform …
- Marketing: advertising, social media posts, creating white papers, organizing webinars …
A profitable e-commerce website is therefore a site whose sales cover the costs mentioned above, including the working hours provided by the owner of the site.
Once this breakeven point is reached, it is advisable to maximize the profitability of the site. The idea? Create a maximum of turnover with a minimum of actions to accomplish. For this, we will work on increasing the average basket , the reputation of the site, the product margin, etc.
How easy is selling online?
Simple to sell online? Not that much. Competition is fierce there. In France alone, there are 182,000 e-commerce sites and nearly 90% of turnover generated by French commerce is generated by a handful of sites. It is therefore difficult to find a place on the web as a seller, unless you apply the advice below.
The main problems and advice in E-commerce?
Growing the turnover of an e-commerce site requires a good dose of thought, but above all tests. The first version of your site or the first marketing strategy you put in place may not be the most effective.
By testing different ways of presenting and promoting your products , you will discover which ones are most successful with your customers or prospects and therefore which ones generate the most income.
What technical parameters to optimize on your e-commerce site?
Perform A / B tests and boost the conversion rate
How can you be sure that your sales page is effective if you don’t confront it with another version of itself? Even if you are happy with the revenue it generates, chances are another version would bring better results.
Creating a series of A / B tests will allow you to define that it will be the most efficient version of a web page . To do this, put different versions of your sales page online under the same conditions and analyze your results: turnover, bounce rate, time spent on the page, contact requests, etc.
There are many ways to increase the conversion rate of an e-commerce site .
Multiply the means of payment
While payment by credit card is very common, some people are still hesitant to buy a product with a credit card from a site they do not know. Hence the importance of offering different payment solutions in addition to the possibility of paying for purchases by credit card: PayPal, Stripe, HiPay, etc.
Optimize the content of your site
Without visits, no sales. Optimizing the content of your site is therefore important to attract traffic to your store and hope to sell your products on the internet. Do a keyword analysis (Google Keyword Planner, Yooda, SEMRush…), choose the most relevant for your e-commerce site and optimize all your pages, including your product sheets. It is also necessary to follow the right SEO performance indicators (KPIs) in order to measure the results of your SEO actions and the quality of online traffic.
Automate responses to customers
Confirming the purchase immediately by sending an automatic email reassures the buyer. Make sure that your e-commerce solution offers this service, otherwise your site may create some suspicion.
What marketing actions should you take to boost your store’s sales?
The most beautiful and the best thought of e-commerce sites are unlikely to make many sales if they are not known. For this, adopting a relevant marketing strategy is essential. Worried about doing too much? It’s a shame, because there are no secrets, the customers have to be found.
How to differentiate yourself from the competition?
Do you tend to take inspiration from the competition? Think what works for your competition will also work for you? It is possible, but not certain. On the contrary, it is strongly recommended to differentiate yourself as much as possible from your competitors.
To do this, you can play on the presentation of your brand or your product, in particular by:
- Creating a presentation video
- Offering additional content (white paper, training, counseling session)
- Offering efficient customer support
- Sending physical support in addition to an online version of a service or training
Using the blog in E-commerce is trendy and can be a good opportunity to demonstrate expertise to your consumers and to distribute content that is more easily optimized for search engines.
How to properly structure your E-commerce offer?
Giving too many choices to your customers is the best way to prevent them from making up their minds. An offer that is too rich or poorly defined is often what prompts consumers to leave a site, especially in the area of service.
Be satisfied with a basic offer and a premium offer . Add something to your premium offer that really gives the product value: a meeting, training, coaching session, personalized follow-up …
Make sure your sales page is understandable and use different marketing levers:
- Highlighting call to action buttons
- Emailing list registration form
- Encouragement to make contact
- Valuation of customer benefits
How to send effective newsletters?
Sending newsletters allows you to stay in touch with your customers through appropriate content. Depending on the type of e-commerce site, the content of the newsletter may vary to suit the interests of readers, but also the business objectives of the company.
Among the most popular content in a newsletter from a store are:
- Discount coupons, promotional offers
- Educational content: guide, tutorial …
- The content that humanizes the company: history, original customer case, company life
Can Social Media Management Increase Sales?
Another essential marketing lever to boost a site’s sales: an active presence on social networks .
You must choose those on which your potential customers are located:
- B2B target; Linkedin, Twitter … these are the two that generate the most interest among professional profiles. Publishing jars or articles on Linkedin, congratulating decision-makers on their new functions, liking certain posts, citing people or companies, will help you gain visibility with professionals who may use your services or buy your products.
- B2C target; Facebook, Instagram … these two are mainly used for private purposes. Be active, publish offers, contests …
- Video advertising on Youtube via Google Ads control can also give good results if the right audience is targeted by the advertising campaigns.
Important: If the bulk of your business needs to be concentrated where your ideal customers are, still make sure you are active on all social platforms or at least, reserve accounts with your brand name.
How to increase the average basket of your e-commerce site?
Finally, once the site is operational and the marketing strategy is in place, it remains to optimize its sales techniques in order to increase turnover . For this, a solution: increase the amount of the average basket of the e-commerce site .
Why increase the average basket?
A formula allows you to calculate it. However, easily find this figure with Google Analytics. Go to the “Conversions / E-commerce / Overview” tab. Get an idea of your site’s numbers to bounce back and increase this data.
But, why is it so important to make it evolve? It is an effective and simple solution to increase the turnover of your e-commerce.
The turnover of your business depends on 3 criteria:
- Conversion rate
- Average basket
To calculate the turnover of your online business = traffic to your site x conversion rate of visitors x average cart.
Work your SEO with an agency or consultant to develop traffic and visits to your site.
Regarding the conversion rate, do a complete audit of your e-commerce. You can analyze the numbers on your own if you have the skills. Otherwise, call on professionals to pinpoint the areas for improvement.
Unlike the other two data, there is no one to develop it except your strategies. It is therefore necessary to look at this notion so that it does not decline and develop your business.
Optimize this notion continuously. Evolve your strategies according to the results obtained in a progressive manner.
What is the average shopping cart for a site?
This is the average amount of an order . For example, that of the Drive of a hypermarket is around 60 €. For an e-merchant, it is easier to encourage a customer to continue shopping than to find new customers and retain them. Hence the importance for an online sales site to analyze it closely and find solutions to make it evolve.
How to increase it?
The idea is to enhance the shopping experience by providing solutions or ideas to the customer who has just added an item to their basket.
Inspiring confidence through elements of reinsurance
A customer who feels confident ordering from your site is a customer, if the experience has been successful, will definitely come back for another purchase. You can use many elements of reinsurance on an e-commerce site .
But it is still necessary that during his first visit, the site made him want to order. One of the essential elements of a sales site is customer reviews.
Invest in a verified shopping solution or show customer reviews on your site. The more comments there are, the more the new customer feels confident and dares to spend more or less sums on the site.
” Would you like an aperitif ? “,” I’ll show you what this jacket looks like with this scarf “… innocuous little phrases that we have all heard in restaurants or stores and which have only one goal, to encourage us to spend more.
The largest e-commerce brands apply this sales technique. Amazon for example, offers you directly in the product sheet of the article you are viewing articles related to this product: volume 2 and 3 of a series of novels, the shell adapted to the smartphone you are looking at, the compatible mouse with the computer keyboard that makes you want …
The Leclerc brand, meanwhile, offers ham if you have bought bread, or chocolates if you have added items to your basket that suggest that you have children.
The idea is clearly to tempt you by offering you articles related to those that you have added to your basket or whose description you are viewing.
This technique is extremely effective in increasing a customer’s order total and therefore, applied to all site visitors, it has a strong impact on the average basket amount. In short, it is an ideal solution for increasing the turnover of an e-commerce site.
Another solution to encourage consumers to add another item to their basket : offer them an advantage if their order exceeds a certain amount. Often, it is the shipping costs that are offered or sometimes a discount.
Some stores take care to calculate the amount to be exceeded. This is particularly the case of the Naïa brand, a lingerie site that sells its bras for € 55 and its panties for € 32. If you want free delivery, you’ll have to spend € 90 on the site while the lingerie set costs € 87. Enough to encourage consumers to add one more item, often panties. Without realizing it, the customer has just increased the amount of his basket by around 30%.
Relaunch abandoned baskets
Reducing the cart abandonment rate is an often neglected lever in E-commerce.
It is not uncommon for a customer to leave the site before having validated his basket . Some sites do not hesitate to remind him that the basket is still active. ” You forgot to validate your basket “, “Your Stan Smiths are waiting for you”, ” Only two copies in stock ” … e-commerce sites compete in ingenuity to encourage you to return to their site and validate your basket. The result ? An increase in sales and a possible increase in the average basket if they offer new products or have not deleted old items that were lying in that basket to which a new item was recently added.
25 strategies to boost the average shopping cart in e-commerce
1) Understand the bounce rate of your e-commerce
Access your Google Analytics account information to understand user behavior on your site. To do this, look at the bounce rate:
- Which pages bring you traffic?
- At what level are you losing potentials?
- On the product pages, which are the most popular?
- Is the price of your offer adapted to the expectations of prospects?
Analyze the traffic inside your site to understand the behavior and desires of visitors. You will then be able to take the necessary measures to highlight the best.
For example, if after an analysis you find that your more expensive articles are not attracting enough traffic, you will have to take the right measures to remedy it.
2) Use cross-selling
This is one of the approaches to take. Easy to put into action, this web marketing technique allows prospects to offer additional items to their shopping cart.
However, the objective is not to offer random ones, but to those consistent with what they like. For example, if a person selects a vanilla scent candle, highlight other vanilla elements such as creams, treatments, diffusers …
3) Have packs available
In order to motivate Internet users to buy several products, offer packs. They are generally more advantageous in terms of price and allow to discover more about your offer.
The choice is made more quickly and the price is generally lower than the items purchased individually. For example, you can create a discovery pack, an expert pack or even a complete pack with the entire range.
4) Focus on up-selling
It is similar to cross selling however the approach is different. Instead of getting users to buy multiple products, it is a strategy that aims to motivate prospects to buy a more expensive product than expected.
For example, if your company offers support services, highlight all your programs with the benefits of each. You thus make the person want to be interested in the different offers and to compare them.
5) The elements of reinsurance
Some prospects may be reluctant to buy online. Indeed, there is still a fear of communicating your bank details on the internet. To get around this situation, reassure customers by offering them insurance. With this technique, they will no longer be afraid to increase their basket and lose their money.
Depending on your offer, offer appropriate insurance: technical insurance, warranty, replacement, service, theft, loss, etc.
6) Have good merchandising
As in a physical store, yours must appeal to Internet users. They must have a real experience through your e-commerce. To do this, think about the best possible merchandising. The first step is to analyze user behavior on your site.
Then ask yourself the right questions:
- Where to put the bestsellers?
- Are items with a high margin visible?
- Do you answer all Internet users’ questions on your site?
- Do you have beautiful visuals? Would you like to use video to present your offer?
The merchandising imagined must appeal to prospects and make them want to discover more about what you offer.
7) Improve the ergonomics of your site
The ergonomics of the site include cross and up selling and merchandising. Keep a web page easy to access and quick to use. The more complicated your site, the more leads you will lose along the way.
Organize these items strategically with clickable areas, information inserts, quick loading, and visuals to match.
In addition, bet on the mobile version of your e-commerce. When people shop online, they want to save time. For the most part, they don’t want to open a computer.
The approach here is to search Google and make the payment as quickly as possible. Think about their spending habits. Then, think about the dimensions of smartphones to highlight strategic products for your business.
8) Offer the shipping cost
The strategy of free shipping is found in many French e-commerce. To encourage users to consume more, set a minimum order value to have free shipping costs.
For example, from € 85, the person does not have to pay 5, or even 7 euros, for sending their package. In this way, some will prefer to pay more and receive more products than to lose the shipping costs.
9) Showcase your most expensive products
It is essential to have a fairly large catalog.
Depending on your business strategy, increase the value of some. For example if you only offer less than ten euros, reaching an average basket of 100 € is complicated. On the contrary, if your price range extends between 100 and 500 €, it will automatically change and will increase your busness.
10) gain the interest of prospects with freebies
As a business owner, your goal is to increase the value of the average basket, but not your costs. One of the strategies that will help you achieve your goal is to offer gifts starting from a specific amount.
It is essential to define your levels according to your margins and your industry.
For example, if a prospect buys for $ 200, promise to give them a gift worth $ 50 or $ 100.
This technique is effective for 3 reasons:
- the person will want to reach the landing to receive the gift
- Demonstrate recognition (give-and-take relationship)
- Great loyalty power
In this same idea, the technique of “2 bought, the 3rd is offered” also works.
11) Display the products already seen
If some consumers have already visited your site, it is possible that they have already viewed certain products without placing an order. This interruption in the customer journey can be explained in different ways: price comparison, an external element that interrupted it, doubts …
Your goal is to bring them back to the fore on a second or third visit. This is an indirect stimulus to convince prospects in a subtle way.
12) Have a loyalty program
To encourage Internet users to consume more, loyalty programs are an excellent approach. Thanks to them, you motivate to spend more.
However, be strategic. Operate from points and stages.
For example, between 0 and 50 €, customers will earn 1 point. For 50 to 100, offer 30 points. From 100 to 150 €, offer 150 points.
Customers will feel valued, but above all motivated to see their number of points increase. They can then take advantage of discounts, gifts …
13) Promote limited-time promotions
Urgency is a marketing technique known to drive sales. Promotions must be used. However, there is a nuance between reduction and urgency.
For this to work, respect different criteria:
- Your site shouldn’t be constantly being promoted
- Discounts must be reduced
- Don’t make offers every month
- Display the duration of the promotion
- Be in the right place at the right time
14) Organize a competition
The competition is a good way to motivate people to order. Easy to implement, indicate the minimum amount to participate in the competition.
To seduce them, still offer a gain that they appreciate.
The other approach is to increase the odds of winning every additional $ 100.
15) Offer split payment
Some users may have some reservations about online payment. Depending on your business approach and the prices of your offer, highlight the split payment. By making this step easier, prospects will have an easier time spending more.
16) Use live chat
Live chat is a small window within your site that allows you to instantly answer questions. You are thus closer to them and can advise them as well as possible.
This option is part of a great way of reinsurance.
17) Show suggestions
It can happen that consumers are looking for a specific product and are not interested in the other offers on your e-commerce. Faced with this scenario, some people can order one or even two products. Consequently, the amount of the average basket is low.
To remedy this situation, add suggestions to all your pages. You can then present similar ones, your best sellers, those with the best opinions …
18) Upselling and cross-selling
For this strategy, instead of just showing suggestions, highlight items that can complement the products in the cart. These assumptions must be shown at the last purchasing step, i.e. before payment, so as not to create friction in the customer journey.
Upselling and cross-selling are based on this practice.
Indeed, the cross promotes a complementary product. On the contrary, the incentive offers a higher, therefore more expensive version of the selected product.
19) The strength of the recommendation
To highlight your expertise and the reliability of your business , do not hesitate to highlight customer reviews. When faced with prospects who do not know you, you must do everything possible to reassure them.
Systems exist to highlight the evaluation through comments or stars next to your files. With the evolution of digital, one of the fundamental steps before buying on the internet is to look at the reputation of a brand.
For this reason, keep people from leaving your site and highlight all the information they need.
20) Accessible and available customer service
If your wish is to reassure, show that you have efficient and available service. In the event of a problem, you can easily be reached through an e-mail, a phone number or a chat.
21) Have free proposals
Depending on your offer and your location, it is possible to highlight certain free services. For example, if these are large orders, offer free home delivery. In addition, if the prospects are in the same city as you, do not hesitate to highlight the click and collect option.
22) The purchase formula in 3 clicks
To prevent consumers from thinking before they buy, make the process easier by allowing customers to make a purchase in three clicks. With this approach, evolve the average basket by increasing the share of those who are compulsive.
23) Reassure about payment methods
On your e-commerce, clearly and precisely indicate the different secure payment methods. If necessary, use logos like PayPal, Visa, Mastercard… Thanks to an image, you will prove your reliability to prospects.
24) Provide a comparator
If possible, offer a price comparison on your site . With the development of digital and social networks, people tend to compare different internet offers before buying.
Prospects need reassurance that they are buying the best product. For this reason, avoid them leaving your site to go to the competition. Concentrate as much information as possible, without highlighting others so as not to harm your business.
It is cheaper for your business to retain existing customers than to convince new prospects . These are people who already know you, your brand and your offering. So they already trust you.
By creating a strategy specific to your customers, you will boost the earnings of your business.
This involves sending e-mails, creating a real relationship with these consumers, controlling the quality of your customer service and regularly presenting your new products.
All these techniques will allow you to increase the average shopping cart in e-commerce. These must be put in place on the condition that you know your target well and create a quality website. Being your storefront, your web page will be the main factor in gaining the trust of Internet users.
Finally, to help you boost the sales of your e-commerce site , ask your web agency to put in place all the technical and marketing solutions discussed in our article. Good sales!
How To Increase the conversion rate on an online store?
Ecommerce conversion rate is defined as the ratio of the number of transactions to the number of sessions, expressed as a percentage.
For example, a ratio of one transaction to ten sessions would be expressed as an ecommerce conversion rate of 10% ”.
Across all industries, the average landing page conversion rate was 2.35% , but the top 25% convert at 5.31% or more. The ideal would be to rank in the top 10%, that is, landing pages with a conversion rate of 11.45% or more.
There is nothing more frustrating for an online merchant just starting out than a website that generates traffic without generating a purchase. So how do you increase the conversion rate of an e-commerce site? Ergonomics, online payment, elements of reinsurance or content marketing, many factors influence this famous transformation rate. Discover our practical advice to optimize your online store so that it makes Internet users want to fill their shopping cart and increase the sales of your e-commerce site.
But what is the conversion rate?
The conversion rate or conversion rate is simply the percentage of visitors who will take action after visiting a website. Your goal: to transform an Internet user who surfs on your online store into a buyer. Thus, the conversion rate on an e-commerce site is measured by the percentage of customers who have made a purchase, compared to the total number of visitors.
We calculate the conversion rate like this: number of purchases / by the number of clicks = the% of the conversion rate.
You should know that in France, the average conversion rate is 3%.
Why should you increase your conversion rate?
If SEO errors in e-commerce are to be avoided, the conversion rate is not directly linked to the number of visits to a website. Many newbies to e-commerce believe that the more traffic and visitors they have, the more income they will generate. But the increase in visits is not necessarily proportional to the number of sales made.
Before working on increasing traffic to an online store , it is essential to think about all the factors that will increase the conversion rate. It can be about the ergonomics of the site, elements of reassurance or the technology of online payment.
Your objective is therefore the following: to be able to capture a clientele, to keep it on your site and to make a sale. For this, you must be able to identify the brakes and levers that influence the transformation and conversion of visitors to your e-commerce site.
In short, the more secure your site will appear and give a good impression to visitors, the more likely you are to sell.
9 levers to increase the conversion rate
1. Use the elements of reinsurance to induce the purchase
When starting out in e-commerce , one of the main objectives when designing your site is to try to reassure future buyers. Even when we do not yet have notoriety, the elements of reassurance on an e-commerce site can strengthen the confidence of visitors with the objective of triggering a sale.
- Update your contact info; All your contact information should be clearly visible and up to date Visitors to your e-commerce store should be able to easily find the customer service phone number and email address, the headquarters mailing address, and a contact form. Being able to reach customer service to obtain product information or track an order is a must in an online store.Otherwise, you must offer at least an efficient and responsive chat service.
- Create an optimized About page; It is essential to carefully write your “About” page You must present the history and activities of your company. This page must be completed with the General Conditions of Sale and legal notices. You can hire a storyteller to help you write this about page. This will certainly allow you to capture the attention of visitors and attract their sympathy or at least their interest.
- Update your site and its content regularly; Your e-commerce site must be alive , it must evolve over time and offer a lot of content and news. A site that moves is a site that reassures potential customers, don’t forget that. You can highlight certain products on your home page according to the seasons, launch promotional campaigns, communicate on a new collection, etc.
- Write a frequently asked questions or FAQ; The FAQ page makes it easy for visitors to your e-commerce site to find answers to frequently asked questions, without having to contact customer service. This FAQ section is of course evolving and will be updated over time, depending on questions and requests made to customer service.
- The advantage of the FAQ is that it relieves your customer service of the most common calls and that it allows the Internet user to immediately find the answer to his question, without having to leave the website, which would risk ending to the online ordering process.
- Clearly display reinsurance pictograms; Don’t forget to think about the use of pictograms to reassure your customers. You can display them for:
- Guaranteed delivery
- Return of goods
- Customer service
- Secure payment
- Product quality
- Be active on social networks; An active social media presence also helps reassure customers that your online store is serious. In addition, they allow the creation of new communication channels useful to the after-sales service. So think about creating your Facebook Company page and your Twitter account. Depending on your industry, having an active Instagram presence can help capture the interest of potential buyers.
2. Focus on content marketing to drive conversion
Using content marketing in e-commerce content marketing is part of an inbound strategy. Its goal is to attract and convert new prospects through the creation and promotion of online content.
The most classic formats for e-commerce sites are blog articles or reviews.
But today there are many other media or formats suitable for content marketing:
- Practical Guide
- How to and tutorial
- Competition game
3. Reduce the loading speed of the e-commerce site
Did you know: the loading speed of a website has a direct influence on the conversion rate and its natural backlinking. According to a Google study published in 2018, 53% of users leave a web page if it has not loaded in less than 3 seconds. And in over 75% of cases, people who left your e-commerce site for this reason will never come back to you. As you can see, the load time of an online store and the conversion rate are therefore closely linked.
4. Work on the design and ergonomics of your online store
The design of your online store is an essential element to take into account to improve its conversion rate. Indeed, it has an influence on the purchasing decision in almost 90% of cases.
Beyond the general ergonomics of your online store, consider presenting attractive and quality product visuals. In fact, the potential customer makes up his mind in just a few seconds and he will always be more tempted to buy if he discovers beautiful product photos. Thus, offering several visuals taken from different angles can increase your sales by more than 50%. So avoid blurry photos!
Here are some other ways to improve the ergonomics of your e-commerce site:
- Set up clearly identifiable call to action that encourage you to click;
- Display a breadcrumb trail and / or a progress gauge so that the customer can follow the different stages of purchase;
- Propose clear validation steps and a clear payment procedure;
- Display a ‘back’ button to help the customer to modify his order more easily.
5. Promote customer reviews and product ratings for your online reputation
Setting up a rating for the products sold on your site and the possibility of leaving a comment after purchase are part of the best practices to be implemented on an e-commerce site. Indeed, nearly 9 out of 10 customers consult opinions and ratings before making a purchase ( IFOP study ).
You can also highlight some customer comments or offer your best customers to talk about their experience with your products or services on video.
Don’t forget the certified reviews
To further reassure visitors to your e-commerce store, you can also install a certified reviews module. Several web solutions such as Trustpilot or Verified Reviews allow this option to be implemented.
6. Reduce cart abandonment
Cart abandonment directly impacts the conversion rate of an e-commerce site.
Different factors can explain that a customer abandons his purchase process at the time of the validation step of the cart:
- Excessively high additional costs (especially delivery) in 53% of cases
- The obligation to create an account in 31% of cases
- A purchase process that is too long in 23% of cases
- A site that does not inspire confidence when paying in 17% of cases
- The delivery time too long in 16% of cases
- A bug or a technical problem in 15% of cases
Your mission as an e-merchant is to reduce cart abandonment.
A word of advice, when launching your online store, carry out test orders to check that everything is working correctly. In case of errors or technical problems, remedy the problem quickly.
7. Optimize online payment and payment solutions
To reduce cart abandonment and increase the conversion rate, it is therefore essential to optimize the payment stage. Start by clearly displaying the different stages of online payment. Then, remember to visibly display the logos of the means of payment and the “secure payment” pictogram to reassure your customers even more.
Don’t forget to offer several e-commerce payment solutions . On the internet, there is not only payment by credit card. Today, more and more Internet users are using PayPal and will not buy from your site if the option is not offered.
8. Pay attention to costs and delivery times.
Finally, delivery is the last link in the purchasing chain. This step is decisive and directly influences the conversion rate of an online store. Indeed, if the delivery costs seem too high, the buyer will abandon his basket and will look to the competition. Likewise, if you are unable to deliver your customer within a reasonable time (less than a week), they will be tempted to shop elsewhere.
Think of practical delivery solutions like Mondial Relay or home delivery.
9. BONUS: don’t forget the promo codes!
To promote visits and conversion of your customers, here is a bonus a last technique to implement: the promotional code. It is a formidable weapon to convert! Of course, you are going to have to cut back on your margin a little, but in return you are going to garner higher sales volumes.
And by giving this promotional code a limited time, you will create a sense of urgency and exclusivity among your future customers. And we know that limited offers tend to encourage people to buy. So it’s up to you to find the right compromise between reduction, profitability and sales volume.
You now know what the conversion rate is and especially how to increase it. By applying our various tips and methods to your online store, you will reassure visitors and help them make the purchase.
For best results, consider implementing all of the techniques that we have presented in this article. You will see, your online store’s conversion rate should increase rapidly.
How to reduce cart abandonment in Ecommerce?
Abandonment is an e-commerce term used to describe a visitor to a web page who leaves that page before taking the desired action. Examples of abandonment include cart abandonment , which refers to visitors who add items to their cart, but leave the page without completing their purchase.
Any item that enters the cart but never goes through the transaction is considered “abandoned” by the buyer. A high rate could signal a bad user experience or a broken sales funnel.
When creating a website, it is important to put in place a strategy to be visible. This makes it possible to carry out in-depth analyzes of the needs of the audience concerned in order to meet them and stand out. However, not all online stores face cart abandonment .
This is because consumers can come to your site without making a purchase. This situation is frustrating. You see user interest in your offer, but they decide not to buy. A strategy must therefore be put in place to increase your e-commerce sales and meet the needs of visitors to your site.
What are the reasons for a cart abandonment in E-commerce?
A cart abandonment occurs when a potential customer puts one or more products in their cart and does not finalize. This data is generally measured as a percentage.
According to a study carried out by the Baymard Institute, cart abandonments represent between 55% and 80%.
Figures to know so as not to dramatize this phenomenon
Many stores can experience cart abandonment. This is the reason why studies have been carried out to analyze this situation.
According to figures from the Statista website:
- surprise costs (not expected by consumers) such as delivery costs or taxes are the cause of 56% of abandonments.
- 37% of consumers abandon the cart because they were only browsing the site.
- 36% decide to leave a store without buying after having found less expensive elsewhere (at competitors or on second-hand sites).
- Complex browsing causes 25% of users not to buy.
- A long shopping process is the reason for 21% of cart abandonments.
- 17% don’t buy for security reasons
Other reasons can intervene in the decision making of prospects such as payment methods, site errors or long page loading time.
To understand its reasons for your e-commerce, do not hesitate to analyze the attitude of consumers on your site.
What are the steps to reduce the abandoned cart rate?
1. Necessary information highlighted
In order to gain the trust of consumers through a store, develop a strategy and put forward reassurance information.
To reassure prospects , have a valid SSL certificate. If not, a security message is displayed in the visitor’s browser.
Also highlight security logos to show that a purchase on your site can be done with peace of mind.
In addition, when faced with an e-commerce, prospects must trust the visuals on your site. To reassure them and avoid cart abandonment, write a return policy and a refund policy.
Regarding returns, set clear and simple rules. Return Cloud claims that 66% of visitors buy more easily when there is a clear returns policy on the site.
To understand whether this aspect motivates sales on your store or not, do not hesitate to offer free returns for a limited time. After this test, compare the number with return costs and without. If there is an increase, try to reduce or eliminate the shipping cost in order to bring it down.
For refunds, provide a consumer guarantee.
If the prospect starts to think or hesitate, you won’t make the sale. With the mention “satisfied or reimbursed”, potential customers feel more secure. With the promise of a refund, you reduce the possible objections to your e-commerce.
The client must feel good and confident.
2. Good customer service
When faced with an e-commerce, consumers are often reluctant. They cannot touch the products, but above all they have no direct interlocutors. Highlight your customer service with points of contact. The prospect must feel that in the event of a problem he can count on a present and responsive team. If the after-sales service is qualitative, you gain the trust of Internet users.
In a physical store, if consumers have questions or doubts, they can turn to a salesperson. The decision is made based on the response.
In an e-commerce, in order to reduce cart abandonment, integrate this notion of direct support. This is possible thanks to the installation of a live box. The Oct8ne software is a great help in putting this approach into practice.
3. Improve the customer experience
In order to make users want to stay, navigation must be optimal. They need to have easy access to the information they want.
- Simplify access to important data; In view of the figure given by Statista (25% of cart abandonments are due to a complex site), work on this point to increase the conversions of your e-commerce. To make it easier for users to buy, limit the number of clicks. Make sure they can do it on your site with a maximum of 3 clicks:
- Go to product
- Add to cart
- Optimize the act of purchase; The customer journey should be quick and easy. Eliminate all unnecessary pages and requests for irrelevant information.
- Importance of page load time; Visual Website Optimizer commented on the correlation between page load time and cart abandonment. Sales drop 7% for every second you wait to load. This means that the longer the load, the lower they are. Optimize all elements:
- Image size
- Using a CDN
- Keep shopping cart visible; The shopping cart should appear on all pages. Whatever page the user is on, he must be able to access the cart. To go further, offer prospects to be able to save the selected products in the basket. Keep in mind that 84% of consumers make comparisons with other brands. If they leave your e-commerce, facilitate their return.
- Avoid creating an account; To improve the customer experience and reduce cart abandonment, do not force Internet users to create a customer account on your site. Beyond developing a sense of obligation, this step slows down the process. However, you need the data provided in a customer account. This is the reason why three options exist:
- Present the creation of a customer account as optional (motivate the registration with advantages and discounts)
- Ability to connect quickly with a social media or Gmail button: in one click, the user creates an account
- Create an account automatically as soon as the potential customer enters their personal information (last name, first name, email)
4. Gain user confidence
he abandonments of the cart are generally explained by a reluctance of the prospect. Your goal is therefore to gain the user’s trust so that they can be at ease.
- The importance of social proof; Consumers do upstream research on the company’s reputation, product reviews, and comments left. This step reassures visitors to your site. Their purchase is not an isolated case. To prevent people from leaving your online store to access this information, make it available on your site directly on the product pages.
- How to motivate your customers to give their opinion?
- Send a personalized email a few days after receiving the product
- Motivate comments with discount codes or sending goodies
- Allow evaluation easily on your e-commerce
- Show reinsurance badges
- In order to gain the trust of Internet users, integrate reassurance badges on your main pages. These visuals will lower cart abandonment. Choose the one from Norton and McAfee Secure. Consumers will enter their bank details without being wary of your e-commerce.
- Highlighting points of contact; Before selling a product on your site, people probably have questions. Even though the answers can be found online, they often need to be in contact with someone to be reassured. The LiveChat tool gives you the option of having a live chat. You can also create a contact page (phone, email, head office address).
5. The power of the visual
To increase sales and conversion, put yourself in the prospect’s shoes. The only way for him to know your products is to look at your photos. Make sure they are qualitative:
- Add multiple photos with different angles
- Use high resolution
- Include photos that tell a story
- If possible, post videos
If the pages are of high quality, the contents will be able to attract shares and generate new visits.
6. Be subtle
Pages with commercial rhetoric scare consumers away. Use your skills to solve the problem encountered.
To reduce cart abandonment, it is imperative that they feel that you understand their situation and that your offer will improve their life or daily life.
In order to ensure the success of your online store, an order must not incur unforeseen costs . If so, the first reaction will be to leave your site.
To reduce the price shock, inform the customer of all charges up front. When arriving at the payments page, the customer should be able to understand the total price.
Shipping costs can hamper a sale. To reduce the impact of this cost, offer free shipping. To offset this cost, slightly increase the price of your products.
7. Regarding payments
According to a study, comScore indicates that 56% of consumers want choice about payment options.
Here are the payment methods preferred by prospects:
- American Express
To decrease cart abandonment, don’t forget to consider mobile. Payment should be made easily, regardless of the medium used by visitors.
In addition, depending on the location of your audience, adapt the payment methods. For example, Portugal, Switzerland and even England have cultural payments (bank transfer, payment by invoice to the Post Office, etc.).
8. Exit intention strategy
Your offer is probably available on other websites. Users now have the reflex to compare the different products available. In order to increase the sales of your online business, have an exit intention strategy.
So, as soon as the potential customer shows the wish to leave your site, offer them added value:
- A discount code
- Possibility of participating in a competition
- Free delivery offer
- Download free content
The message can be displayed as a pop-up or a banner. Be careful though that this window is not aggressive. She could scare away.
9. Identify the vanishing points of the sales journey
If you see a high percentage of cart abandonment, an analysis of your online business is necessary.
To do this, Google Analytics is a good starting point . This free tool gives you all the information about the behavior of visitors to your site. Don’t make assumptions, rely on numbers and factual data to make the necessary changes.
To identify the pages to modify, identify the exit pages of your site. They correspond to the last pages visited before leaving your e-commerce.
10. Integrate call-to-action at strategic locations
To increase your digital presence and the loyalty of prospects, the payment page is a strategic location. Indeed, it is not because the purchase is about to be concluded that the marketing actions stop. On the contrary, the goal is for the prospect to become a regular customer.
However, don’t change the tone of your communication.
During the checkout process, write clear CTAs . Avoid evasive formulas. In order for the visitor to be sure of his choice, you must be transparent with precise messages.
11. Integrate rarity and exclusivity into your offer
If you’re a victim of a lot of cart abandonments, take a look at your approach and your strategy. On your sales pages, create urgency to motivate the sale. Subtly tell Internet users how rare your offer is.
You can do this through several practices:
- View available stock
- Show the number of people interested in the product concerned
- Highlight the promotion timer
12. Bet on sending emails
Despite all these techniques, some prospects may continue to abandon the cart without proceeding to payment. It doesn’t mean they are lost customers. If they have left a point of contact or if an account has been created, please do not hesitate to contact them by asking if they are still interested.
With this technique, be sure to be friendly without being intrusive:
- Think about an eye-catching object
- Highlight the advantages of selected products
- Offer a promotional code
Cart abandonment rates can be reduced, but difficult to avoid. Faced with these profiles, do not give up. You can set up remarketing ads on Google Ads to remind them of your existence. For example, after doing a Google search for a fridge, you will see the fridge absolutely everywhere.
By using user cookies, it is possible to track these people who have not purchased on your e-commerce site. You can set up this practice on Google, Instagram or Facebook. If you want to take this approach, make captivating and dynamic ads. Otherwise, prospects can develop some frustration with your online store.
Reassure your customers by inspiring confidence
On the internet more than elsewhere, if the customer does not trust, he does not buy . Know this, one of the first fears of consumers on the web is to be the victim of a scam. If he does not know who is behind the merchant site he is viewing, he will not take action.
He must therefore be sure that he can contact someone at any time, before, during and after the sale.
Offer contact solutions to your customers
On the homepage or on the contact page of your site, remember to clearly show:
- An easy to use contact form.
- The customer service phone number.
- The address of your eshop headquarters.
You can also install a chatbot solution to provide basic 24-hour support. You can also upload a very comprehensive FAQ, where your customers can easily find all the answers to their questions.
Finally, if you publish articles on your e-commerce site, consider promoting your blog on social networks. This will boost traffic and increase awareness of your brand among consumers. Being active on social media and having a community there is important to ensuring the success of your online shopping site.
E-reputation: publish your customers’ opinions and provide a space for expression
According to an IFOP survey , 88% of Internet users consult consumers’ opinions before buying. So posting your customers’ comments on your ecommerce can reassure future buyers about the quality of your products or services.
Additionally, many consumers enjoy seeing their comments posted and shared . Apps like Trustpilot can allow you to view your customers’ ratings and reviews. Publish absolutely all comments, whether negative or positive, because Internet users are very sensitive to the transparency and honesty of merchant sites. A site with 100% 5 * votes will not inspire more confidence than a 4 * site with a few mixed reviews.
Remember that a negative opinion is not necessarily a handicap . If you answer them quickly and with pedagogy, you can on the contrary reassure consumers even more. This will help them see how you react to a problem. Respond to every negative feedback in a personalized way and offer a solution to the disgruntled buyer. It proves your professionalism.
Secure the purchasing process
On an online store, finalizing a purchase can generate stress for the buyer , if he does not feel that the transaction is completely secure. Throughout the purchasing process, the customer must therefore be supported and reassured.
He must be able to access his basket at any time to consult the summary of his purchases, easily add or delete an item and know the price of his order.
The following information must absolutely appear clearly on the shopping cart page:
- The designation of the articles.
- The exact amount of the basket.
- Delivery fees.
- The total amount to pay.
You must also indicate the delivery times and the means of payment available.
Work on the content marketing of the E-commerce site
Creating content that accompanies future customers throughout their journey allows them to be captured as soon as possible. By offering quality content that helps them, the bond begins to build before the purchase.
You can work on the content marketing of an E-commerce site with a multitude of content:
- explanatory and test videos
- product comparisons
- After-sales service sheets
Thanks to strong growth, the e-commerce sector offers many opportunities to entrepreneurs. However, it is important to think carefully about your strategy so as not to miss the launch of your merchant site. Now it’s up to you to create your online store, by finding the right concept that will allow you to make the difference!