Ecommerce SEO is a must-have digital marketing strategy to grow your business and achieve the best return on investment by consistently attracting traffic and qualified visitors to your online store through search engines like Google.
SEO is an absolute necessity for ecommerce sites. Your products should rank higher than those of your competition, and they should show up in the top results so that potential customers can find the products they need.
Many companies go into online commerce with the creation of e-commerce sites. However, with the explosion of the internet, all brands are found in one place. Consumers compare prices and offers more. To differentiate yourself and give visibility to your store, it is essential to create a strategy that includes organic backlinking.
Why is SEO the key to your success? How do you put a plan in place that works? What are the tips for making your business popular?
By browsing this publication you will be able to visualize the most important elements to optimize it on an E-commerce site and to carry out a complete audit of your current traffic acquisition plan.
Table of Contents
- Why use SEO for an E-commerce site?
The main mistakes in Ecommerce SEO and Its Solutions
- 1. Ignore product description
- 2. Neglecting customer reviews
- 3. Do not optimize pages
- 4. The absence of share buttons
- 5. Botch the creation of a buyer persona
- 6. Do not fill in the physical information
- 7. Abusing guest posts (Guest Blogging)
- 8. Use overly optimized link anchors
- 9. Don’t pick the right keywords
- 10. Ignore the pop-up penalty
- 11. Leave predefined URLs
- 12. Duplicate content: approaches considered to be errors
- 13. Integrate visuals with generic names
- 14. Do not react to 404 errors
- 15. Have a slow e-commerce site
- 16. A non responsive store
- 17. Not being interested in developments: the practice of voice searches
- What are the steps to prepare your E-commerce strategy?
- How important is the structure of the site in e-commerce?
19 tips to deploy in your e-commerce
- 1. Favor long tail keywords
- 2. Optimizing pages with the same keyword
- 3. Strategic placement of keywords
- 4. Get customer feedback / reviews
- 5. Rich snippets
- 6. Insertion of social media buttons
- 7. Using videos
- 8. Focus on the customer experience
- 9. HTTPS: protect the user, give confidence to buy
- 10. Create a semantic bubble
- 11. Development of netlinking
- 12. Ensure site speed
- 13. Alt Tags
- 14. The compression
- 16. 404 pages in sales booster
- 17. Calls to action
- 18. The power of URLs
- 19. H1 tag on product pages
- How to do the SEO audit of an E-commerce site and analyze the results?
Why use SEO for an E-commerce site?
Natural backlinking has many advantages to gain visibility. Its use helps to gain the confidence of search engines and improve the position of your website in the SERPs.
Prove by the numbers
Some key figures to keep in mind:
- 44% of users search on Google when they need a product.
- 37.5% of e-commerce traffic comes from search engines.
- 23.6% of web stores sell following a search on Google, Yahoo or Bing.
Today everyone has access to the internet. Whether on a computer, tablet or mobile, consumers have become accustomed to researching Google. This is the reason why your company must be actively present in the results presented. You have to be in the right place at the right time.
If your site is found in the first results, you gain traffic, notoriety and you increase clicks and sales. For example, you want to give a watch for Christmas to a member of your family. In the search bar, you will type “Christmas gift watches” and then visit all the first sites that are presented to you, because you trust Google and the relevance of its results.
To guarantee the success of your business, work on the position of your site so that it is in the first results. Automatically, you gain the trust of consumers.
By putting into action a organic backlinking strategy, you invest in a profitable operation in the long term. It takes time and money to create the necessary content and position it, but once the results are achieved, the contributions can be sustained over time as long as you maintain them.
Therefore, all the sales that you will be successful as a result of this SEO work will have a very favorable return on investment. This is only gain for your business.
To go faster, it is possible to invest in advertisements through the Google Ads platform. It allows companies to pay to be well placed according to a specific keyword.
Finally, the work of organic backlinking gives your business the possibility of targeting its target more and having higher conversions.
The objective of SEO is to position yourself on relevant keywords according to your field of activity. By performing a specific search, the user will type in specific queries. By being present in the results, the prospect sees you as an expert in the matter. People who love your industry will find you more easily. They are more likely to like your offer.
The main mistakes in Ecommerce SEO and Its Solutions
Having the courage to start an online store is a good start . However, taking the plunge is not enough. The goal of an e-commerce is to convert and to sell. To do this, the website must be visible. SEO errors should therefore be avoided. Without in-depth SEO work, your online business cannot differentiate itself and gain a place in the market. The new web stores often reproduce the same errors in terms of Ecommerce SEO.
Here are some potential common e-commerce issues that can impact your ranking in results.
1. Ignore product description
One of the biggest SEO mistakes is product descriptions . If you have an e-commerce, take advantage of this insert to highlight the characteristics of your offer. However, do it strategically. The text must be exclusive. Copy and paste is not a good idea if you want to improve the SEO of your store.
In writing these inserts, write only descriptive, quality content that has the capacity to help consumers in their decision making.
In addition, when you receive the items from your suppliers, there is a great temptation to copy the description provided to save time.
This thought is organic, but don’t plan on doing it. It is one of the mistakes not to be made.
The key to success is to create unique, exclusive content and tailor-made descriptions for each product sold on your e-commerce. It is important to write impactful introductions and give advice to prospective buyers to get their attention.
If you have a catalog with many products, you will probably be unable to create exclusive content for all pages. In this case, do not index these products. It is better to have few descriptions and perform well rather than multiple descriptions that drag your site down.
Video content should not be neglected and can be separate marketing elements. This work can be used to attract by using this video content to generate views on Youtube.
2. Neglecting customer reviews
70% of consumers look at reviews posted on the internet before buying. This figure proves the strength of social proof at the digital level.
To gain the trust of users, but above all to increase the conversion rate of your website, motivate your customers to publish a review on your offer. They give legitimacy to your products. Consumers will more easily believe third party reviews rather than your business descriptions.
This consumer reviews strategy has advantages for your e-commerce:
- Writing comments about your offer creates exclusive content on a regular basis.
- Customer reviews allow information on your page to be updated.
3. Do not optimize pages
Within your pages, use words that consumers type on search engines to find your products.
Build your site with optimized title tags, subtitles and descriptions. This structure allows you to offer content that really appeals to your audience. In H1 headings, use the main keyword. For example, if your online store sells baby clothes, go for an H1 “Child Clothing 3-6 months”.
4. The absence of share buttons
Mistakes are to be avoided. One of them is not to integrate social media buttons to motivate the sharing of your content.
The Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Linkedin buttons allow Internet users to share your content with their acquaintances and their network.
If your offer is targeted, the chances of reaching people interested in your offer are high, this also contributes to the creation of backlinks.
5. Botch the creation of a buyer persona
Talking to everyone means not talking to anyone. Your store must have a positioning and a precise target. To succeed in this funnel work, create one or more persona. These are fictitious profiles of the ideal customers of your e-commerce.
Thanks to all the elements defined (city, interests, tastes…), you will be able to adapt your communication, to be present on the right media and to highlight the key elements. The visits to your online business will increase.
You can, with the popularity of your content, score points with search engine algorithms.
6. Do not fill in the physical information
To improve the organic backlinking of your business, provide as much information as possible. Indicate the address of a physical store if you have one. Otherwise, do not hesitate to put your head office.
This information builds user confidence and can help your website SEO on local search.
7. Abusing guest posts (Guest Blogging)
Guest blogging is a known practice for improving SEO. The purpose of this strategy is to invite people to post on your blog and exchange links. If you have a store, the invitation can be made to a professional in your industry or to bloggers.
This idea arose after Google statements. During a meeting, the company explained the importance of publishing quality content. Indeed, according to them, if your content is relevant, other sites will want to share it and talk about you.
For Google robots, mentions of your store prove that your website deserves to be highlighted.
Why is this method one of the errors? Internet users have abused this approach. URLs were present on many sites, without it being relevant. Google’s algorithms have adapted to restrict these practices.
Today, guest posts can still be a good technique to improve the SEO of your business. However, don’t overdo it.
8. Use overly optimized link anchors
Following an abusive use in netlinking, the anchors of overly optimized links are sanctioned. Your store may receive a penalty from Google and lose visibility.
This notion has evolved.
Now, “organic” anchors look like:
- A bare link like www.name.com.
- A simple sentence with the name of the site as an anchor, for example “ find all the advice on Nom.com“.
- A piece of sentences, a series of coherent words. Here is an example of what you can use on your store “to promote your website, be there regularly. But for that, it is still necessary to have a content strategy.”
9. Don’t pick the right keywords
Using the right keywords is important for a website’s SEO. However, one of SEO mistakes is not using them in the right way. Choose words that still generate traffic to attract consumers and appear in Google results.
Also, don’t create your content to appeal to bots. Choose your words organicly and expand the semantic field with synonyms. With keyword misuse, you will scare them away. No one likes to read a succession of keywords.
Repeating the same word 40 times in a text of 400 characters does not optimize your positioning.
10. Ignore the pop-up penalty
In 2017, Google announced that it was penalizing sites with pop-up windows. The update is also known as the Intrusive Interstitial Penalty. This was created to avoid disrupting the user experience. According to Google, sites using this type of communication will see their organic backlinking impacted.
If you want to integrate pop-ups into your store, make them appear at strategic times. Avoid disturbing Internet users as soon as they arrive on your store.
11. Leave predefined URLs
The links of the pages of your store must have a specific construction. Now, to improve your site’s SEO and readability, the main keyword and subject must be present in your URL.
Why build this type of link?
- Make it easier to understand the content of your site.
- Have a good positioning in the Google SERPs through the use of the main keyword.
12. Duplicate content: approaches considered to be errors
One of the great scourges that impact a store’s organic backlinking is duplicate content. It is difficult to create exclusive content for all pages. This is the reason why, avoid indexing pages with the same texts.
In the lines of code, do what is necessary so that the search engines do not take them into account:
- Use robots.txt to block all areas where duplicate content predominates (in tags, archives, etc.)
- Add the meta “noindex” in the code of some URLs.
The # 1 SEO rule is to watch out for duplicate content. However, in many e-commerce, this rule is forgotten especially in the titles. Stores generally offer the same products in different models or colors.
The trap here is to give the same name to all the products like “handbag”, “men’s watch” or “night cream”. The SEO of your store can be penalized.
To build and optimize a good title tag and ensure the organic backlinking of your pages, here is the ideal structure: the name of your brand – the model – the type of product.
Do not watch for meta descriptions
Meta-descriptions do not impact the positioning of a site. However, they help Internet users understand what is on your site in seconds and influence click-through rates. These have the power to differentiate you from other brands. Avoid generic, automatic or copied meta descriptions. Be inventive.
Do like the competitors
Your product descriptions should be different from other sites. How do you stand out if all the stores have the same content?
To show the power of your site to search engines, create exclusive text that resembles your company’s branding.
13. Integrate visuals with generic names
To optimize the SEO of your e-commerce, avoid using the names “IMAGE 378” or “CN_6201”. They do not provide any quality data to search engines.
Some consumers can search from Google Images. Robots and algorithms must be able to classify your visuals.
Give strategic names to your images. Fill in the alt tags with keywords.
If you want to go deeper into this topic, make sure that the embedded photos are less than 100 KB. In this way, you lighten the weight of your store and your site will be faster (good practice to improve the user experience).
14. Do not react to 404 errors
404 errors are the most well-known SEO errors in terms of SEO. Their level of importance is high. If your store has these types of errors, react quickly.
These appear when your server cannot find the landing page. On your store, they can exist for various reasons:
- Pages no longer exist: promotions, products, categories …
- Products are no longer sold on the site or the stock is unavailable.
- The migration of some elements was not successful.
- The URLs specified in your content no longer exist.
For example, in practice, on your website you publish an article about the benefits of a range of shoes that you sell. To improve the sales of these products, you put a link so that consumers can easily find them and buy them.
A few months later, you decide to stop selling them. However, the published article is still online. If a user clicks on the embedded link, they will land on a page with a 404 error. This is because the page has disappeared because the product line is no longer available.
15. Have a slow e-commerce site
Internet users are more and more impatient. In seconds, they need to access the information and products they want. Studies show that consumers want to wait less than 2 seconds.
If your store pages take longer to open, people are likely to leave your site. Faced with these reactions, the bounce rate of your e-commerce will explode.
To improve the loading time of your business:
- Choose the right web host.
- Reduce your lines of code.
- Lighten the weight of visuals (photos and / or videos).
A multitude of wordpress SEO plugins can correct these errors on stores that use this CMS.
16. A non responsive store
Millions of people just use their smartphones for research and shopping. With the popularity of social networks, this figure continues to increase.
Faced with this enthusiasm, Google robots have undergone changes. Now, the algorithm favors mobile content over desktop content.
Without a mobile version of your store, you risk being penalized by Google and not being visible on search engines.
17. Not being interested in developments: the practice of voice searches
There are many digital developments. The most recent concerns voice searches. Search engines analyze this type of use more. According to Google studies, 1/4 of Americans browse the Internet using voice searches.
This is a trend to watch in organic backlinking. Robots undergo changes depending on user habits. If the use of voice searches is increasing, we are not immune to an evolution of algorithms.
What are the steps to prepare your E-commerce strategy?
Following steps are essential for ecommerce seo and to prepare your E-commerce strategy
All about SERPs
Before you start, you need to study your industry on engines. Depending on your sector and the topic covered, see what results were obtained during the research. What keywords are your competitors using? On what themes are they positioned? Do they cover the entire sector? What are the positions of each in the ranking?
After these observations, distinguish the different searches carried out by consumers according to their search intentions:
- Transactional requests: the Internet user wants to buy. Usually the formula typed in the search bar how to “order” or “buy”. Their objective is to obtain the product immediately. If your offer is not highlighted, your site will only be a benchmark against competitors.
- Navigational queries: through them, prospects perform a simple search to find something specific. There is no purchase goal. They can be summed up, for example, to type “Apple” on Google and thus access the site.
- Information requests: just like the previous one, there is no will to buy here. The objective is to carry out research in relation to a need or a question. But it can be the beginning of a purchase. Positioning yourself there can be interesting.
Depending on the search performed by users, the search engine results are different and adapted to the search intentions. To increase the sales of your e-commerce, bet on transactional requests. They have real selling power. To reach them, use specific and strategic keywords. Do not forget either to place yourselves on the informational requests related to your sector of activity to attract future customers.
How to position yourself on the keywords that generate sales?
Who says having a organic backlinking strategy for his store also means finding the keywords to be visible .
However, there are two complex situations:
- The selected primary keyword is too popular. The competition on this one is so great that it will be impossible for you to make a place for yourself on this word anytime soon.
- The word chosen is not popular. You manage to place yourself on the search engines, but this one does not bring you traffic.
To counteract these two scenarios, thoroughly analyze the market and existing sites. With this approach, find the perfect balance between popularity and clicks.
How do you find the perfect keywords?
Finding the keywords is the first step. It allows you to identify the content you need to produce to be visible. Without this work, it is impossible to define the names of your products, to optimize your description sheets…
If you skip this step, you will be faced with the two situations listed above.
To find the perfect keywords for your store, there are different techniques.
The first is to go to Amazon. Being the most visited e-commerce in the world, it’s a mine of keywords. In the search bar, type in the different types of products that you are selling. A suggestion list will open. Automatic results represent the most popular queries on the site. Here you have important suggestions for keywords to integrate into your product sheets and your content. They are often long words. Use them: they have a great power of conversion.
2. Keyword tool dominator
Keyword tool dominator groups all the searches on different e-commerce platforms like eBay, Google Shopping… Using a word that you type, this tool gives you a long list of keywords that can be used on your site.
Your competition can be a source of keywords. Do not neglect them, on the contrary. To stand out and make a place for you, know their practice.
Here’s how to do it:
- Type in a keyword that represents your offer or a particular product.
- Click on all the top sites in the ranking.
- Analyze the names of product categories and product sheets. There you will find the main keywords used by the competition.
One of the inevitable sources is Wikipedia. Regardless of the search performed, this site always stands out in the first results. They strategically use lots of keywords and chew up your job. Go to Wikipedia and then in the search bar, type the name of a product or service that you sell. You just need to check the keywords used on the page presented to you.
You have access to a list of words according to your field of activity. You can set the search according to popularity, length and volume of searches. For precise targeting, Ahrefs provides access to long tail keywords.
6. Google Keyword Planner
For free, it gives you access to the popularity of the words typed on this engine. Having weaker suggestions, it is strategic for your organic backlinking to supplement the results obtained with other tools mentioned above.
How to choose the right keywords?
You now have a list of words, but you don’t know which ones to use. Which ones are relevant to your site?
To gain sales and popularity with keywords, it is essential to analyze:
- The popularity of the word is the search volume
- The cost per click on Adwords
- The use of this word by other sites
- The link between the keyword and the product. Your business shouldn’t use words that don’t match the product.
To help you in your choice, tools like SEMRush or Smartkeyword provide access to important data concerning the keywords. Depending on the word entered, they tell you if the competition is high or if you have a chance to position yourself on it.
How to analyze e-commerce competitors?
The next step is to imagine the structure of your website. It has an impact on the SEO of your business. This is the reason why this element must be taken into consideration.
To start, visit the sites of your competitors. How are they organized? What are the categories? Take a full assessment of your user experience. You will thus be able to know what you want for your site, the practices to avoid, the missing elements to make the difference …
Since the beginning of these stages, competition has played an important role. The point is not to copy, but only to be inspired and to make your business different. If you have ideas for new processes, don’t be afraid to give it a try.
Here are the questions that can help you build your site:
- Is the navigation fast?
- How many pages are there?
- Is the site deep?
- What are the categories and sub-categories?
- How are the products promoted?
- How are the product sheets constructed?
- Is the blog present? If so, what articles are published? At what frequency ? What is the tone and the message?
- What are the calls to action present?
How to identify current SEO problems?
After all these analyzes and audits, it’s time to diagnose your e-commerce site and the existing elements.
The first step is to identify all the errors present. The Screaming Frog site reports 404, 302, 301 errors and duplicate content.
After fixing all the small issues that exist, take a look at how quickly pages open. Note that 40% of users abandon a site if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. Prospects are impatient. If they can’t access the information on your site, they’ll go to the competition. Do not lose opportunities by optimizing the opening time. Pingdom allows you to test the speed of your site for free.
How important is the structure of the site in e-commerce?
The website is the window of your business. You gain visibility, create a link with Internet users and increase your earnings. All this on condition that certain rules are respected.
How to create an optimum site hierarchy in E-commerce?
Your site should be well organized for easy navigation. Make sure you don’t create a site that is too deep. Limit yourself to 3 levels by linking all the pages together with links.
To simplify :
- Level 1 is dedicated to your home page.
- The product category corresponds to level 2.
- Level 3 highlights the sub-categories.
For example, if you have a jewelry store. The ideal pyramid structure for your SEO is:
- The home page with the highlighting of all of your offer and your DNA.
- The categories in level 2 correspond to jewelry for women, men, children or even customizable jewelry.
- The sub-categories are made to show all of your products: necklaces / bracelets / earrings / watches / bracelets, etc.
If you prefer to talk about a funnel instead of a pyramid, it is quite possible. The idea here is to go from the broadest to the most precise. This simplicity allows Google robots and Internet users to navigate better within your content.
How important is the home page?
The home page is the first thing people see when they enter your site. It has to be perfect and optimized for SEO, because it is usually the most powerful page on the site. Optimize it to appear on the main keyword of your activity.
The title tag
Include your business name and create a commercial message with less than 70 characters using the main keywords of your business.
The meta description
The meta description has no influence on the ranking of a site, but it can affect the click-through rate. To increase the odds on your side, the strategy is to write a short paragraph with your main keyword to make you want to click. This description appears in engine results with the main keyword in bold. Create an eye-catching and impactful message to make you want to click.
In a matter of seconds, consumers should have an idea of your offer, but also of your brand image. Do not present too much data to avoid losing users. Be clear, precise and concise. Write compelling sentences, place call-to-action buttons in strategic places to catch the eye of prospects.
How to optimize product sheets?
Product sheets are the pages that should have the highest conversion rate . You present your offer in depth. So make sure to structure them and create an SEO strategy for your product pages.
- A short URL with the main keyword designating the product concerned.
- The H1 of your product sheets must also have the chosen keyword. It matches the name you gave it. For example, on your e-commerce, you sell strollers, the title of a model should be “Stroller for child X”.
- Your blurb should contain at least 300 words with keywords from your list.
- Images must have a name. Fill in the Alt Text field directly.
- Write a mini paragraph for your meta description to make people want to discover your product.
These steps must be done for all the products on your store. You can also apply this approach to categories on the site.
As a bonus, feel free to create a “similar products” or “you may like” banner. It increases the visit time to your site and boosts additional e-commerce sales.
How to integrate internal links between pages?
After having optimized the general structure of the site, an SEO strategy is not complete without in-depth internal networking. You must link the pages together with the internal links of your site. Always have a link plan. The algorithms are powerful. They manage to detect abusive practices. Make logical connections and not a completely chaotic internal mesh.
After completing your structure and the internal linking of your site, do not hesitate to submit it to Google so that the robots take into consideration all your pages and modifications.
Why have a mobile version of the online store?
To have a good position in the search engines, work on the mobile version of your site. It is essential that your offer is easily and quickly accessible from a smartphone or tablet. This is called having responsive content.
Indeed, following the craze around smartphones and their daily use by consumers, Google has changed its algorithms. Now, the first content analyzed is mobile. They come before computer content.
Keep in mind that 61% of users go to the competitor if the site does not adapt to mobile.
How to use blogging in E-commerce?
Some web stores have a blog. Others don’t. What are the impacts of this practice? Having an e-commerce blog is a great help especially if you are working on an SEO strategy. Through a blog, your company can deploy a content strategy, focusing on content marketing.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of all the advantages of having an e-commerce blog:
- Create different types of articles to show the effectiveness of your offer.
- Position yourself as an expert in your field.
- Integrate more keywords to earn SEO points.
- Publish regularly and show that your site is active.
- Highlight contests, promotions and news about you.
- Take advantage of the seasons for your communication: Christmas, Halloween, BlackFriday, Easter, summer holidays, Mother’s Day …
- Optimize all content created.
- Motivate to buy by proving your expertise and skills.
All of these elements show algorithms your effort to publish quality and relevant content. But above all, in all the articles published you have the possibility of integrating powerful keywords and creating a semantic bubble. Which is hardly possible with product sheets.
If the blogging work is done through the WP CMS, you have the option of using several specialized plugins for SEO of a WordPress blog.
19 tips to deploy in your e-commerce
1. Favor long tail keywords
From the keyword list, choose words longer than two words. This could be, for example, dryer machine, ice cube fridge, baby strollers, Christmas gifts for women. These long words, also known as long tail keywords in SEO, have a high conversion rate. When a person does an engine search, it is rare that they type only one word. Generally, searches are done with 2 or 3 words. They are also more accessible than competitive keywords. you can find ranking keywords by using free keywords suggestion Seo tool.
2. Optimizing pages with the same keyword
Within the pages of your site, do not choose the same keyword to target multiple times. For example, if you have several pages on jewelry, choose varieties such as “jewelry for women”, “jewelry for women”, “bracelet for women” … It is essential, in order not to negatively impact your organic backlinking to find alternatives and variants.
3. Strategic placement of keywords
The presence of targeted keywords is important in your product pages. It needs to be at the start of your SEO Title, in your URL, and within the meta description and core of your content. Of course, the goal is not to impact the user experience. Your content should feature varieties and synonyms to avoid repetition and have readable text.
For example, if your main keyword is “decorative posters”, use “poster” “living room decoration” “have photos” “decorative illustrations” “living room illustrations” “decorative illustrations”.
4. Get customer feedback / reviews
In your e-commerce, highlighting customer reviews is essential to gain the trust of users. It is possible with this practice to increase its conversion rate. 77% of consumers read reviews before buying. They thus have a great power of persuasion on prospects.
What to do with negative reviews? These remarks do not drag your business down. On the contrary, many people seek this type of advice to see the ability of the business to bounce back. These are messages rich in information.
5. Rich snippets
Rich snippets allow you to structure your data and enrich search results with additional information about your offer. This data boosts your SEO because it sends more information about your business to algorithms and gives users more relevant information.
6. Insertion of social media buttons
Social networks are a guarantee of confidence in the quality of your offer and the seriousness of your business. Today, for example, everyone goes to Instagram or Facebook to see the number of subscribers. This data gives your business a certain power.
They also help engage consumers around the content you create and the products offered. How does this technique help boost your SEO? The many shares around your creations give the indication to search engines that your site is of quality and help users. Google has confirmed it: social networks like Instagram, Facebook and even Twitter have a power within robots.
7. Using videos
Video communication, beyond capturing the attention of prospects, reflects a positive image on your business. Indeed, a store presenting videos shows that it manages to adapt to the needs of the market. Videos increase a site’s conversion rate because the offer is taken up faster.
Through a video, consumers have the opportunity to see the use of a product, the dimensions, the quality… The figures speak for themselves: 90% of prospects ask to see a video with the product in action. This support helps users to make a decision.
This technique is successful. Video viewing time is longer than images or text. This increase proves to the engines that Internet users love to discover your content and your site. Enough to improve your ranking in the results!
8. Focus on the customer experience
There is a real conflict between SEO strategies and customer experience. And for good reason, this user experience is increasingly important. What is the point of attracting visitors if the user experience ruins this visibility work?
Here are some indicators to watch out for:
- Time spent on site
- Number of page views
- Conversion rate
- Actions performed on the site
All of this data proves the quality of your content. Put yourself in Google’s shoes and think like it. The objective of this research platform is to propose and highlight efficient and relevant sites according to user needs. If your metrics send the opposite picture, improve the situation.
9. HTTPS: protect the user, give confidence to buy
The main problem with shops is to gain the trust of users. The engines are aware of this. For this reason, in 2014, Google added a reinsurance criterion as a ranking criterion: the HTTPS mention. It tells consumers that browsing the site is completely secure.
Today, to ensure the success of your business and prove that you have a reliable site, it is essential to switch from HTTP to HTTPS.
10. Create a semantic bubble
The reading of your content by algorithms is done through many criteria. One of them is the specific words you use. Engines must be able to understand the theme of your site and the content published.
To facilitate the work of understanding robots, create a semantic bubble around your field of activity. If you sell treatments, bet on all the vocabulary around well-being and beauty. If your offer is for gardening, create a list with strong main words, synonyms, phrases, and tool names.
Thanks to the semantic field and the creation of your bubble, it will be very easy for the robots and for the consumers to understand the topics that you bring up and the topics that you deal with.
11. Development of netlinking
In addition to your on-site SEO strategy, develop a netlinking plan . Regularly, you have to gain links pointing to you on other sites. Popularity is essential. If we talk about you, it means that your content is appreciated and therefore of quality. Here are the practices to use:
- Be part of the directories, guides or comparators existing on the web. Here we have to find the right balance between quality and quantity.
- Be present on the blogs of influencers.
- Create sponsored articles on platforms of choice.
- Make people talk about you by all means.
- Create your own site network.
12. Ensure site speed
There is a real link between speed and conversion rate. The faster your speed, the higher the conversions will be.
13. Alt Tags
When integrating the visuals on your site, if you go to “properties”, add descriptions and captions to the photos. Create a name made up of a succession of keywords that relate to the visual. This technique is to be done for all your photos. They will then be listed on Google Images. More visibility means more traffic and more time spent on your site. SEO through the image that works.
14. The compression
Beyond the visual, the images must be compressed so as not to impact the speed of your site. They should be light and resized as soon as possible. But without compromising the quality which is essential to sell a product.
16. 404 pages in sales booster
404 error pages can be present on an e-commerce site for many reasons. Go to Google Search Console to see 404 errors on your site. After identifying them, create a redirect to the page of your choice. You can also add different links to your most popular articles on this error page.
With a well-constructed error page, you avoid losing traffic by mistake.
17. Calls to action
These buttons grab the attention of users in order to get them to take action on your site. Whether it’s to subscribe, to take advantage of a promotion or to buy, they must be impactful and placed in strategic places.
To guarantee the success of your business, do not hesitate to do tests. Play with the typography, the location, the message conveyed or even the color. Take advantage of the season to make a difference such as holidays, BlackFriday, birthdays of your e-commerce …
18. The power of URLs
It seems that Google likes short URLs with strong keywords. Even if you have an online store, avoid links such as “wwww.cyberindeed.com/lanterne-produit5632-parme”. And above all, do not include special characters. The dash of 6 is more than enough to structure a good URL.
Studies have shown that sites with shortened URLs have more visitors than sites with long links.
19. H1 tag on product pages
All products featured on your site must have a name . This element is often forgotten, but beyond the photos and the product sheet, you must give your products a name to best describe them. In the HTML structure, present the title in H1. This practice allows users to know the name of the product and gives structure to your content. This helps engines understand what your page is about.
How to do the SEO audit of an E-commerce site and analyze the results?
After setting up your SEO strategy, you have to analyze the results and the evolution of your visibility. Different elements must be analyzed to understand the impact of SEO on your business.
- Analyze the links and content of your site: error pages, how URLs work, duplicate content.
- Check the optimization of your site structure and navigation for Internet users and visitors.
- Also look at the number of indexed pages. On the search bar, type “site: name of your site.com”. Through this analysis, you know how many articles and content Google takes into account on your site.
- Test the loading speed of your pages. Even if it is fast, make sure to improve it. To get an idea of what changes can be made, go to Google’s PageSpeed Insight Tool. On your mobile version or for the computer version, this tool gives you all the suggestions for improvements.
- Analytics is a free tool made available to you by Google. This is full of information about the data on your site. Whether it is the conversion rate, the location of visitors, the time spent, the number of page views, everything is analyzed and scrutinized. Thanks to this platform, have access to all your data and target your actions according to your objectives.
- Analyze what works best and develop it.
- Take care of the general user experience and the elements of reassurance to optimize the conversion;
It is important to determine your key performance indicators in order to better monitor the results of your actions (conversion, traffic, length of visit, etc.).