To promote a content or a site to search engines, focusing on SEO is essential. It guarantees good visibility and better positioning in the search results pages. In this context, several techniques and tips exist including the use of relevant keywords. How do you determine these good keywords and where to find them?
Table of Contents
- What is a relevant keyword?
- 6 Free Keyword Generator Tools
What is a relevant keyword?
To be relevant, a keyword must above all refer to the main subject of the text. However, for a good SEO strategy, other keywords must revolve around the main word to complement it and thus cover a larger area of research.
Finding these other complementary keywords, belonging to the lexical field of the main keyword, is one of your main missions before you even tackle writing. To do this, it is not enough to choose words at random, but to base yourselves on the research emitted by the Net surfers and those which come back most often, but on which, there is still little competition.
The use of specific tools is therefore essential, but among all those that currently exist, which are the best and which offer free keywords research?
6 Free Keyword Generator Tools
# 1: Google Keyword Planner
This tool is integrated on Google AdWords. The latter is already well known to all webmasters, especially in terms of paid linking through features such as the purchase of advertising space or the implementation of SEA campaign.
It should be noted, however, that not all of its features are chargeable, like its keyword planning tool, Google Keyword Planner. It is completely free and easy to use. By entering a few phrases, you will see other searched phrases that refer to them, but not only.
Indeed, Google Keyword Planner does not only generate new keywords since it also allows:
- Filter searches to obtain keywords that really target your audience.
- Estimate the relevance of each keyword by referring to the competition rate, traffic forecasts and the volume of monthly searches recorded by Google.
- Prioritize the different keywords generated according to your needs.
# 2: Keyword Tool
Keyword Tool is a good alternative to the previous tool that we have just seen. It also has many features that are all very easy to use. For keyword research, you just need to type in the main word and in seconds you will have a long list with over 750 suggestions.
Its great advantages:
- High chances of finding long tail keywords
- Possibility to refine searches according to the target
- Access to the most popular keywords launched on other research sites such as Bing, the Apple Store, YouTube, Amazon, eBay, …
- Possibility to find suggestions in the form of questions
- Possibility to exclude certain types of keywords thanks to the “negative keywords” filter
Remember, however, that even if the majority of its features are free, you will only have access to search volumes in paid mode. This means that only the keywords will be displayed and not the numerical trends.
# 3: Google Suggest
Still unknown, Google Suggest is the feature that allows the Google search engine to automatically suggest queries associated with the words or expressions you enter in the search bar.
Among these requests, we must distinguish:
- Suggested queries:
These queries appear thanks to Google’s auto-completion model. When you start to type a word in the search bar, Google will automatically complete it by displaying a list that matches your word with other terms. These so-called suggested queries come from frequent searches launched by Internet users.
- Associated queries:
When you are entering an expression, the suggested queries automatically appear. Once the search is launched and the results displayed, you will see at the very bottom of the Google SERP page, a list of queries associated with your keyword. Here again, these are frequent searches launched by Internet users.
The advantage with Google Suggest is that the keyword research is completely free and in addition, these suggestions / associations make long tail keywords relevant.
# 4: UberSuggest
This keyword generator is quite recent, but already gives great promises to webmasters. It is very easy to use and offers an easy interface for professionals.
Its main advantages:
- A very practical search bar: it is made up of four sections to be filled in and selected. The first is the part where you will enter the word or the group of words, the second allows you to indicate on which search site the tool will focus, the third allows you to indicate in which language you want to obtain results and the fourth validates the criteria for the search
- A more refined search: before launching the search, the tool asks you to specify the search area. In the second pane of the search bar, you will have the choice between Web, Google Image, Google Shopping, YouTube and Google News
- Various languages recognized: French is not the only language recognized by the site since you can also launch searches in English, Spanish, German, Swedish, etc.
- A quick and well-informed display: once all the criteria have been selected and the search launched, a list of keywords is displayed with, on each line, the search volume, the CPC and the degree of competition corresponding to each word – key
- The ability to filter the results displayed: to reduce the large volume of keywords displayed, you can enter filters such as “negative keywords”. These filters will remove some keywords to keep only those that meet your criteria
# 5: WordStream
The biggest advantage of WordStream over the other tools mentioned above is that it allows you to search by country and by field of activity.
It is therefore welcome when you only want keywords related to the real estate, insurance, tourism, etc. sector. In all, the tool recognizes around twenty domains so you just have to see if the sector that interests you is listed there.
The small downside of this tool: it is mandatory to give your email address to obtain the complete list of expressions found around your main keyword.
# 6: SpyFu
“Spy” meaning “spy”, this free keyword generator allows you to know the keywords purchased and used by your competitors.
It allows you to find some inspiration, but also to conduct a competitive watch in order to stand out from the crowd.
To quickly find good results, start by listing sites that belong to the same industry as you. This will give you a first list of keywords to analyze. Indeed, from this list, you will be able to compare which are the most used keywords and which of your competitors use them. Subsequently, you can refine them to have even more precision.